PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout versus Marathon

dbmalkin
11-28-2005, 12:40 PM
I have registered for the Roundabout, but my SIL is insisting that the Marathon is better. Any thoughts? We live in NYC with no car, so we'll only be using it about once or twice a month for rental/borrowed cars, etc.

Thanks!

erzzie
11-28-2005, 12:56 PM
The Roundabout and Marathon are really close to the same seat. Safety-wise, both are wonderful. But a Marathon will last your child on average until age 6, where a Roundabout will be outgrown by age 3, typically.

On the plus side for the Roundabout, it's smaller and lighter and will be easier to tote around since you'll be installing it in multiple cars...

If I were you, I'd go with the Marathon for the sake of not having to buy another one later.

daniele_ut
11-28-2005, 01:18 PM
We have one of each, and honestly, I prefer the Roundabout for ease of installation and use. We just traveled to NYC to visit my family for Thanksgiving, and I was really glad we brought the Roundabout. We took the Super Shuttle and public transportation from the airport (but had a seat for DS on the plane and rode in cars during the trip), and toting the MA would have just been a bear. The MA also doesn't fit rear facing in the center of our Subaru because of the long buckle stalk, so I didn't want to encounter any difficulties like that during our trip. I used LATCH to install it outboard in my sister's Durango and got a rock solid install in about 3 minutes. Though I really like my Marathon as well, the Roundabout is really my favorite. As for the longevity factor, yes, the MA will last longer, but I figure that by the time DS outgrows his RA, I will pass it down to our next DC.

pittsburghgirl
11-28-2005, 02:19 PM
We got a Marathon because my DS grew out of the Snugride at 4 months and is super tall. BUT, I think I would have gone with the Roundabout in your situation. That Marathon is SOOO heavy it's very difficult to tote around, the only time I ever take mine out of my car is when it's time to change the harness height. We had to buy a different seat for travel (Cosco Touriva).

I think I would go with the Roundabout in your situation, unless you or your DH (or families) are super tall, in which case I would seriously consider the Marathon.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

BillK
11-28-2005, 03:23 PM
We have 2 Boulevards and 1 Roundabout - I like the Boulevards from a safety standpoint - but as others have said the RA is awfully easy to install, easier to lug around and the crotch strap adjuster is easier to use.

If you're considering a Marathon - I'd give a Boulevard a long hard look for 40 more bucks. My 2 cents.

Momof3Labs
11-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Do you take long trips in the cars, or only shorter trips? If you take long trips, then I'd go with the Roundabout since it is smaller to haul around. But if you only take shorter trips, then perhaps the Scenara (5pt version, NOT the overhead shield version) for $50 would be enough car seat for you. The Marathon IS wonderful, but we live in suburbia and drive almost everywhere, so it gets tons of use and rarely has to be moved out of the car.

HannaAddict
11-29-2005, 01:52 AM
We have both, had the RA first. We love the RA, like it better for ease of use, etc. than the MA, and I would get it in your situation. You may need to get a larger carseat later but the RA will last for at least a few years and be easier to take with you in different cars/airplanes, etc. The MA literally won't fit in many cars rear facing (like our Volvo S60) too. It would be worth it to me to be able to have my baby rear facing until they outgrow the RA.

Kimberly

tribecamom
11-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Only downside to the Roundabout is 40 pound weight limit. DS outgrew it rearfacing at 22 months (33 pounds) and is now 35 pounds at 2 yo (I know, I know LOL)....but I suspect it will be at least a while till he hits 40 at which point I will upgrade to a husky or whatever the new Britax non convertible is (should take up half the apartment LOL). DD is 40 pounds at 3.3 (she is in a marathon) so I suspect DS will be there too

dbmalkin
11-29-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks ladies! Lots to think about.. On the one hand - we'd love to receive a carseat that will last - but it does seem to make sense to have the lighter one for the next couple of years while we're still in the city.