PDA

View Full Version : Went van shopping - confused - help!!!

sophiesmom
12-04-2005, 06:56 AM
It seems i can never make a decision regarding kid things without posting here 10 times! ha ha! ;-) Here I sit with insomnia at 6 a.m., i'm sick and my kids are at the grandparents overnight , and i have so much on my mind I can't sleep, between getting a new car, need some new furniture, christmas, and new baby coming! argh!!!

Anyway... I had posted earlier about an 8 seater Sienna. I got a lot of great responses. We finally went out yesterday looking at the Sienna and Oddysey. And of course I can't decide what to do...

Sienna
: besides a terrible experience w/ a new saleswomen who knew nothing and wasted a lot of our time (which is precious when you don't have the kids!).... (at one point I wanted to try my 2 marathons and infant seat in the 2nd row to be sure all would fit. we took the MAs out, she pulled up a van that didn't have all 3 seats in a row and told us there were none on the lot, so that was a waste, i'm pretty sure would fit but would definitely take the seats back again and try if the 8 seater is what i want)

Positives: 1. I would go with the 8 seater sienna if this is what i want to do. One part of me really wants the 3 in the row, i think more for safety, plus having more trunk space if i need it, but then not sure if would be causing more problems than worth having all 3 next 2 each other. if the baby was in the middle i could push the seat forward so they wouldn't be right there w/ him or her. 2. cheaper than the Oddy i looked at.

Negs: 1. only 1 power sliding door and not sure if middle windows go down.. does that matter? is 2 sliding doors better? 2. not as many nice interior features as Oddy.

Odyssey: I have driven Hondas for almost 20 years, so of course i loved the Oddy. If i would go w/ a 7 seater this would be my choice. the EX falls into our budget, and had a lot of cool things: 2 power sliding doors, extra seat for second row (not for a car seat though), both middle windows go down like regular windows, build in sunshades, lots of storage compartments, radio controls on steering wheel (i would LOVE that!).

Only neg that all 3 couldn't fit in 2nd row.

I thought comfort wise and driving wise they were comparable. Honda's engine was a little louder but in general felt more solid.

I think part of my problem is worrying about my 4 year old (who would stay in her MA) being in the 3rd row, it's not that close to the back but still scares me. I think Jools had said before it is ok, and i know the MA is a great solid seat.

Well, I think I've covered everything, so any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Pennylane
12-04-2005, 09:16 AM
I just got my Sienna a few months ago and I love it! I have three children .My oldest (4) is in a booster seat in the 3rd row. She has never made a move to get out. I think she like too that if the babies start yelling she's not in the middle of them! My babies are in the middle , captain seats. I love that we have the "aisle" for people to get through to the back seat so I don't have to take out any car seats. I had them all in the same row before I bought this car and was actually told by the person who installed the car seats that it was more dangerous that way....Not sure why, maybe that is something to ask about.

I have two automatic side doors and the trunk is automatic also. I really don't have anything bad to say about the car so far. I also drove the Honda and I thought the Sienna was a better ride.

Hope this helps some. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Ann

Joolsplus2
12-04-2005, 09:30 AM
CPSDarren ended up with another Ody.. http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html I think one of his deciding factors was that he spent some time with all three of his kids in his Subaru, and decided that 'three in a row' is not all it's cracked up to be...he's happier with one in the back ;) (Plus, he says it's manlier... I wonder if *your* dh has an opinion about that????)
Maybe the 8 seater Honda would fit a narrow seat in that middle seat?
I promise, the third row isn't dangerous in either of these :).

Ugh, it IS a tough choice, I think I'd have insomnia, too!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

CPSDarren
12-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I decided to go with the manly, midlife crisis minivan rather than the more practical soccer dad minivan...

I have more comparative information than you ever wanted to know here:
http://www.epinions.com/content_208641101444

The 8th seat in the Odyssey EX and EX-L is really a mixed bag. Most harnessed child restraints might be too large. I haven't really tried to install any there yet, but that was never my intention. On the plus side, it stores nicely inside the van and is adequate for teens and kids old enough to be out of a booster.

I had a really tough choice, too. I ordered the Sienna originally, but ended up with an Odyssey after some delays with my Sienna order. Good luck!

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

sophiesmom
12-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the info. I will check the site you posted too.

I don't even know if it would be possible to install in the Odyssey 2nd row middle seat. The belt comes from the roof. ???

How do all of you do when going on trips? Not that we go away alot, but i'm thinking if the 3rd row is up we wouldn't have a ton extra storage for luggage, etc. We already pack up the CRV trunk when we go!

CPSDarren
12-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Most of the newer vans have a split folding 3rd row seat. For example, my daughter rides in the 3rd row in the "40" side of the 60/40 split seat. So, if we need to store cargo, we can easily fold down the larger section without removing her carseat.

It is acceptable to install a carseat in the Odyssey 2nd row middle seat. The problem is finding a seat that is narrow enough and can be installed adequately. The seatbelt from the roof is not a problem of itself, unless it results in a poor fit. The link Julie posted has some more information about child restraints in the Odyssey.

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

sophiesmom
12-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks Darren... I just finished reading your reivew on epinions! great!

I wonder if a turbo booster would work in the oddy middle row 2 seat, once DD gets bigger...

decisions decisions! ;-)

erzzie
12-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Darren, if you wouldn't mind posting links to the extra driver side mirror and conversation mirrors you purchased for the Odyssey, I'd totally appreciate it! I really noticed the difference in the drivers side rear visibility between the two vans, but we ended up going with the Odyssey anyway. I'd love something to improve those!

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
The Turbo is really pretty wide...maybe the Parkway (no bulky armrests...) or Starriser Comfy (VERY narrow) would work...hmm...I wish I knew, lol.

:)

CPSDarren
12-04-2005, 06:05 PM
>Darren, if you wouldn't mind posting links to the extra
>driver side mirror and conversation mirrors you purchased for
>the Odyssey, I'd totally appreciate it! I really noticed the
>difference in the drivers side rear visibility between the two
>vans, but we ended up going with the Odyssey anyway. I'd love
>something to improve those!
>
>Thanks!

The only essential one was a very simple $1.49 rectangular "wedge" mirror I found at a Pep Boys store. I've seen them at Autozone, too. It's a 1" x 1.5" wide angle mirror that sticks on the corner of your outside mirror and eliminates that blind spot. We have a similar round one on my wife's car, but I don't like the distortion from the round one.

The rear-view mirror model is a stick on mirror that mounts above your existing inside rear-view mirror. It's a panoramic mirror that serves as a conversation mirror but also lets you see out all the inside windows so it can also serve as a blind spot mirror. I don't find myself using this one as much. It's nice and it works, plus the optics are better than the standard conversation mirror. Still, it may not be worth the cost. You may find it cheaper elsewhere-

http://www.12voltshop.com/proddetail.asp?prodid=LANEPLUS&cat=21&path=1,21

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

CPSDarren
12-04-2005, 06:10 PM
I tried a Starriser base on a test drive. It was a hair wider than the PlusOne seat but worked fine. That was all I really needed to know so I haven't checked any others.

I store our PlusOne in place of the Lazy Susan storage compartment so it's there if we need to haul an extra kid. I normally leave the aisle in the middle so my daughter can easily get back to her seat and my son and infant have their own space in the second row. For a long trip, I might put the Lazy Suzan back in place and leave the PlusOne at home.

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

Splash
12-04-2005, 08:44 PM
When we had the girls, we had an '03 Odyssey.
I hated it. Hated it. I cursed that van and parked it every night wishing someone would steal it. It was the most poorly designed piece of crap I had ever owned.
Of course, that's my opinion :)
I went with it because it WAS a safe van, and I got a good deal on it (which turned out not to be because I hated the thing so much. It would have been worth the extra 6 grand to get a Sienna).
I hate the power doors on the odyssey. They do NOT stop like they should if little arms or legs are in the way. Several times I would push AGAINST the door with all my strength and it would still keep closing. I've gotten my arm closed in it before and had a horrible bruise... it would have broken a kid's arm.
I had nothing but contempt for the thing and gladly sold it when we were down to one child. Even though it was far more sensible, I just plum hated it.
But I know there have been big improvements and I actually liked the '05 when I test drove it for giggles several months ago. Not enough to buy it, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the old one.
Just with my experience with the thing, I would say go for the Sienna. I so wish I would have. Unless they have majorly changed almost everything in the last few years, I would run from the odyssey.

CPSDarren
12-04-2005, 09:52 PM
I had a 2001 Odyssey before the 2006 we recently purchased. I was extremely happy with the 2001. I'd have kept it longer except I really wanted side curtain airbags, stability control, an 8th seat and a split folding rear seat...

We didn't have power sliders in our 2001, mostly because of all the complaints I had seen about them. I was skeptical about them on our 2006. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. They work well, stop on a finger (literally) and are great for the kids. I'm glad we have them on both sides- something I didn't think would be a big deal when I was buying.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with a Sienna or Odyssey if you do your research and take a test drive to see what is most important to you. In fact, the Ford, Nissan and Chrysler vans are all competitive in their own way, too.

erzzie
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks!!!

sophiesmom
12-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks again to everyone! I think we need to go out and look one more time. I've been thinking.. and thinking maybe should go w/ the 8 seater Sienna. This way if I want 3 in a row I can, and if on a big trip can put them all in 3rd row, but if not, I'm left with a good safe 7 seater. I may be able to get one w/ a DVD installed for about same price as Oddy EX... still want to look though, i am a huge honda fan.

My installation question: Do any of you know how an infant seat or convertible (FF) would fit in the middle seat of the 8 seater? I know there is no latch, but what about tethering?? I will have to check this out at the dealer this weeekend, but just curious for now.

Thanks!

my3fallkiddos
12-05-2005, 09:07 AM
There is LATCH in the middle seat, middle row as well as a tether anchor. I've installed a Baby Trend LL22, a Graco Snugride and a Graco Turbo no back booster- all fit perfectly!

Chech out www.siennaclub.org for great Sienna info. I love our '05 LE-8 Sienna!

CPSDarren
12-05-2005, 09:21 AM
The middle second row seat in the 8-pass Sienna is basically as functional as the outside seats. It has an integrated seatbelt and full LATCH capability. The only real disadvantage is that it is large and heavy like the other seats, so you have to lug it out and store it somewhere to convert to a 7-passenger model.

So, it really depends how often you're going to be changing configurations. Too bad neither the Sienna or Odyssey offer the nice fold flat seats in the second row like Chrysler or Nissan.

bubbaray
12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
I just wanted to chime in here about the vans.

I got an '05 Odyssey this past summer and LOVE it. I had to make the difficult choice between the Odyssey and Sienna. Both are great vans. I preferred the styling of the Odyssey. I thought it handled a bit better, though the Sienna was quieter. Overall, when I purchased, the Odyssey was a better deal (I got an EX with leather). You may be able to get a GREAT price on an '05 if you can still find one.

The EX-L (with or without DVD/Nav) and Touring do come with extra insulation, mainly because the 3/6 cylinder engine is apparently a bit noisier. I don't find it a noisy vehicle, but my recollection is that the Sienna was quieter (but no available "eco" engine).

I also wanted to say that the 2nd row "8th" seat in the Odyssey is not for any child seat, not that one would fit anyway. I just checked my manual, but can't find the exact reference. We did ask the dealer about this prior to buying and they told us no child seats should go there (maybe that's just a Canadian thing?). The seat is very narrow, but much easier to install/remove than the Sienna 2nd row center seat (I can do it by myself). It is really more of a spare seat, IMO.

As for the sliding rear passenger door issues on the older Odysseys, I know this was a problem in the past (we have neighbors who have had 3 Odysseys and one had this problem). HOWEVER, the '05 and newer Odysseys have sliding doors that auto-reverse when something is in the doorway (like an arm). They work very well.

The Odyssey does come with some great features. I tell everyone I bought the most expensive 2nd row window shades. What a GREAT feature! :)

The only real downside to the Odyssey is that if you happened to have FOUR children in FFg seats (that here, Canada, must be tethered), you can't do it in the Odyssey. I have no plans on needing 4 FFg seats, but if you had quads, it would definitely be an issue.

HTH
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

bubbaray
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda Canada says you can not install any child seat (RFg, FFg) in the 2nd row stowable seat (the 8th seat). I asked if it would be different in a US Odyssey and the CS agent said he couldn't say.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Elizasmom
12-05-2005, 07:49 PM
I decided on the 7 seater after agonizing about the 8 seater. I have not regreted my decision and I think I would have regreted the 8 seater. Here are my reasons:

1. The two middle row outboard seating positions are much closer to the doors in the 8 seater. There is a significantly larger gap between the seats and the doors with the 7 seater. This was very important to me due to my concerns about side impacts. A few inches can make a huge difference (I know this from first hand experience- my daughter's head was just a couple of inches from impact in our accident).

2. With the 8-seater, two of your three kids would have to be be on the side position. With a 7 seater, your child in the third row can be in the center. The safety benefits of being in the center balance out the increased risk of being in the far back, so it's a wash in my opinion. Meanwhile, your two kids in the center position will be SAFER in the 7 seater (see 1 above!). So there you have it, I think the 7 seater is actually slightly safer than the 8 seater for three kids.

3. You can not easily get to the back row with three kids in the center row. The back row is useful for diaper changes and throwing coats and things. I would hate for it to not even be used, which is what would happen. 7 seats is more functional

4. Resale value. The 8-seater may be harder to sell.

sophiesmom
12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Wow, thanks, you made a lot of good points. I think my major thinking w/ the 8 seater (i'm paranoid about accidents) is that I would worry about the older child being so close to the back of the vehicle in case of a bad rear impact. She can be in the Marathon for a long time which is reassuring, it's such a solid seat.

I know I'm thinking way too much about 7 vs. 8. A local dealer has 3 leftover 05 Oddy touring models. We want to try to get them lower than what they offered but may not happen. I know I would be happy w/ either toyota or honda. I did notice that the honda was louder than the toyota.

thanks!

Elizasmom
12-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I am super accident paranoid too. I was like that even before my husband totaled our vehicle with her in it, and I'm even more so now. This is how I look at it -you have no way of knowing where an impact will occur, so you can't fixate on just being rear-ended. If you put him in an outboard position in an 8 seater, and then get hit on the side (like we did), he'd have been better off in the back row in the center. Also, just look for yourself at the nice big gap between the seat and the door in the 7-seater.

I am more scared of side-impacts than rear impacts because there is so much less protection (although we do have the side airbags). Even with the small trunk space in the Sienna, there are still crumple zones. He'd be a couple of feet from impact in the rear, but just a couple of inches from impact on the side. I especially don't like the passenger side outboard position. That's where we were hit making a left turn on a yellow light. It's a very common type of accident. My daughter was in the center of our Highlander. I have no doubt she would be dead if she had been on the side. There was just nothing left of that seating position. With the 7-seater Sienna, we have the captain's chair on that side moved over to the center. With three kids, only one is on the side, and it's the side I feel less nervous about.

bubbaray
12-05-2005, 08:58 PM
I once had an accident reconstruction engineer tell me that statistically, you are more likely to die on the passenger side of the car because the driver will always instinctively try to maneouver the vehicle to save themselves. DD is my only child and her MA is in the 2nd row, driver's side for that very reason. With a second child, I would move the 2nd row passenger side seat as far towards the center as possible (or put DD#1 in the 3rd row center, though I doubt that would work as our dog is in the rear in his crate).

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Elizasmom
12-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Interesting that you prefer the driver's side outboard position to the center position (or "almost" center with the passenger side chair moved to the center-most position). Of the 2nd row seats, I think of that center spot as the safest, followed by the driver's side outboard. It's crazy, but I think about these things a lot. With the Highlander (the one that was totaled), we didn't have a tether in the center. I was bound and determined to keep her in the center, but I agonized over the absent tether and tried to get one installed to no avail. I was so nutty about keeping her away from the sides (this was when we only had one child), that when the accident happened I felt like I had somehow known what was coming. Being a bit OCD about things has not been a good thing, but in this case, I feel it saved my child's life.

sophiesmom
12-05-2005, 10:45 PM
wow, thanks for all that. it all makes sense. i'm feeling better with going with a 7 seater now. i guess if you start thinking too much you really make yourself nuts. but they are such precious cargo! i can't wait to get them out of the CRV (so close to the sides and no bags and no headwings)and into the captains chairs, a bit further from the sides of the cars and having the side curtain airbags.

i think too, with the point made of using the 3rd row for diapering etc., it would be good for nursing too! i used to hate nursing in the fron seat of the car (parked of course!) so would be nice to hide back there, and be able to get back there easily.

most people rave about both vans. i've heard a little more negatives about the oddys, but not much! the oddy might be a nicer choice with having that option of the 8th seat for an older child or adult (an occasional passenger). this way regularly we'd have the space of a 7 seater (regarding the positioning/size of the 2nd row captain chairs), but if in a pinch could carry an 8th passenger, which i'm sure will only be once in a blue moon!

i appreciate everyone's help here!!!

bubbaray
12-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Hmmm, perhaps I wasn't clear. Yes, center is safest in the car seat testing. But in terms of accidents, this engineer was telling me why it was that I was seeing cases where the passengers were critically injured, but the drivers walked away from the crash.

That is wonderful that your child was safe in what sounds like a horrible crash.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Elizasmom
12-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey- This is interesting, and should make you feel even better about having your child in the way back in the center. Scroll about half way down where is says "What if I'm hit from behind?"

http://cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

The article states that 96% of all crashes are front or side, and "rear impacts aren't as bad when they do happen because The forces in a rear impact crash are much different from the forces in a frontal impact crash. In a frontal impact, the forces are much greater because the vehicles are usually traveling in opposite directions. Experts suggest that a frontal crash is the same as hitting a concrete barrier – the vehicle and all occupants come to a dead stop within less than 1 second. When you are struck in a rear impact, the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction, and the vehicle that is hit in the back has room to move forward. The crash force on the occupants is much less than in a frontal impact. The movement of the impacted vehicle, in addition to the crush zone, absorbs a lot of the crash energy, so it is not transferred to the child. Additionally, the majority of rear impacts are at low speeds."

carolines mommy
12-06-2005, 12:48 AM
We too had a difficult time deciding if we wanted an Ody or a Sienna. We were lucky enough to be able to rent a Sienna for a week before buying so we really got to check it out. We ended up with an Ody and I love it. The doors really do stop when they meet any resistance. The only down side of 2 power doors is if the battery dies, you have no way to get those side doors open...we found this out last weekend when DH drained the battery charging his cell phone! The plus one seat in the second row is great for me to be able to sit with the girls if needed and carry an extra passenger. We were told at the dealership the plus one seat can be used with a car seat although I cannot find anything in the manual about that. I have been very happy with our 05 Ody since we bought it over a year ago. It is a bit louder than the Sienna but also seems to have a bit more power.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

sophiesmom
12-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks again for that! You are all so great in helping! I really feel so much better.

One more question: a lot of the models of vans do not have AWD. If you live in a snowy area (we live in PA), how do they do in the snow w/out AWD? I have heard w/ the AWD, they have the run flat tires, which seem great, but very expensive to replace.

Just curious!

We hope to go out this sat. and make our final decision, then start dealing!

o_mom
12-06-2005, 08:18 AM
On our O2, you can open the doors without power, it is just _REALLY_ hard.

o_mom
12-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Not sure if you picked up on this earlier, but the 05 only has one tether anchor in the third row, so for me that would limit to one child in the third row at all and always in the center. That would be a deal breaker for me - you couldn't take a firend along, etc. The 06 has three top tether anchors in the third row and lower anchors in the center.

sophiesmom
12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I didn't pick that up, thanks, great point!

shibababy
12-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I, too, did the Sienna vs Odyssey thing in October. I really liked the Sienna, more comfort/luxury feel. The interior of the Ody seemed "fake". I also loved the fact that both doors were power sliding as well as the tailgate.

I never liked the idea of the 8 seater just because I do foster care and could potentially have up to 4 carseats at any given time. No way would I take out a carseat daily just to get to the 3rd row. I'm plus size so moving around inside the minivan is not so easy for me. I need to be able to reach that back carseat for buckling and unbuckling easily for the morning rush.

I went with the Odyssey because I could buy an 06 for far less than the 05 sienna they were trying to sell me. Most of the 05s they had left were the high end models that they couldn't sell.

I went with leather and dvd.

I loved all the bells and whistles on the Ody, so much storage space. I also liked the fact that you can move the second row chairs over. I like that the mini seat stores into the floor and I don't have to worry about lugging a seat out into my garage.

I had to use this feature recently. I had two convertible seats and needed to install an infant seat. I had to take out the mini seat and slide over the passenger 2nd row seat so that I could put a convertible seat in the 3rd row, and the infant seat behind the driver's seat.

No, the mini seat is not to be used with a carseat.
I fall more and more in love with my Ody every day. I don't regret the choice at all.

I owned a Ford Windstar previously and loved the roominess of it (that was the ONLY thing I liked about it) and so, was looking to recreate that experience. I find it hard to reach the 2nd row air registers, but that is about the only negative I've encountered.

sophiesmom
12-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks..
We are heading to Honda today. I'm leaning more towards the Oddysey. I'm a huge Honda fan and know I will be happy with it, and I've come to realize DD will be ok in the 3rd row.
I like the Siennas too, but I find all their packages confusing.
The dealer has an 05 touring model there,but i think i read can't tether the middle 3rd row seat and that's where i want DD.
Thanks again and will update once we buy!

sophiesmom
12-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Finally... thanks to everyone for their replys!
We got an awesome deal on an 05 Touring Odyssey. I feel some relief, but still hoping I made the right decision!

sophiesmom
12-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Just adding to my above post. I'm happy to see that there is center latch in the 3rd row for DD, but the tether spot is really stupid. Any other ideas of somewhere else to tether? The tether will go right over the cargo area.

I also just realized (with the new van in our garage!) that the touring model does NOT have the 8th seat.. major goof on our part, although not a huge big deal to us. I'm scared to tell DH, I don't think he realizes.

He really pushed for this 05, I hope it was the right decision. I would have been fine w/ an 06 EX!

I think that's it for now. Will post back again!

MarisaSF
12-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Thank you for this thread. We will be making a similar decision within the year or so. I've never bought a car and am overwhelmed by the options! Since we'll probably be getting a minivan, reading posts from people who have thought about the features and carseat placements in such detail and with practical real-life usage is very valuable!

Joolsplus2
12-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Isn't that third row tether spot the pits? Nope, that's the one you get, and the one you have to use...don't worry, you'll get used to it.

Hope you love your new van!

sophiesmom
12-11-2005, 11:02 AM
yeah it is! really stupid. our crv had it in the roof. i figured once DD gets older and into a highback booster it won't be as big of a deal. (boosters don't get tethered right?)

Joolsplus2
12-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Right, boosters don't get tethered (except for the Recaro Start, but we like our Parkway better anyway, and the Jane' booster that might come out next year only has lower LATCH attachments, which is uber-cool)

sophiesmom
12-11-2005, 04:20 PM
I was eyeing up the Parkway. I'll definitely wait until the summer and see how big she is. She'll be 5 then. Then maybe the baby can get her MA. :-)

For installing the car seats in the captains chairs (2 MA's right now), what should the angle of the back of the seat be? I can't tell if I have the seat too far back.

Thanks!

kep
12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Just a quick question... On the 8 seater Oddy, if you removed the stow-away middle seat, could you move the two center-row captains chairs away from the doors? Kind of like you bought the 7 seater instead? Thanks! :)

Kelli
Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."
- W.S. Ross

carolines mommy
12-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Yep, the passenger side captain's chair moves over toward the center of the van. And the great thing is you can move it with the carseat still in it!

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

HIU8
12-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Thank you. This thread prompted DH to want to go van shopping (we are getting rid of a leased car in May. We have one DC right now and are planning on having another sometime in late 2006/early 2007 and we are going to get the family car now rather than later).

Anyway, we test drove the town and country, sienna and odyssey.

Town and country - drove horribly. cramped interior. Tons of road noise. I hated the seat system and seats were junky looking and feeling. Not worth it to either DH or myself.

Sienna - liked it and can get the options we want. It drove like our Camry which we like. It did have significant road noise. and it takes premium gasoline. So, it just got crossed off the list.

Odyssey - we knew the moment we drove this that we were going to be getting this car. It drove so quietly and felt like a sedan not a bigger car. We are looking at the EX model with a couple of extras (special glarefree rearview mirror because in the dark, headlights make it so I can't see the road well).

Now all we have to do is find a good price on the odyssey and/or find a 2005 they are willing to deal on. Now comes the fun part.

Thanks,

Heather
DS 11/27/04

sophiesmom
12-12-2005, 10:16 AM
i'm loving the odyssey so far. i think you'll be really happy with the EX model, it has a lot of nice stuff. ;-)

glad this post was helpful for others!!!

Joolsplus2
12-12-2005, 10:35 AM
For the captain's chairs, you want the MA in the upright position, of course, and then have the vehicle seat only reclined enough so that you have a natural meshing with the back of the MA. It often is really helpful to take the headrest off, if possible, so you get everything to fit together as well as possible. The MA will look rather comfily reclined even when it's properly installed and upright.

sophiesmom
12-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks Julie. I did take off the headrests because they definitely push against the seat. I'll check the recline of my chairs today. Soon I will be having the baby seat installed and checked by a local tech so she can check that too. :-)

CPSDarren
12-14-2005, 05:39 PM
>I also wanted to say that the 2nd row "8th" seat in the
>Odyssey is not for any child seat, not that one would fit
>anyway. I just checked my manual, but can't find the exact
>reference. We did ask the dealer about this prior to buying
>and they told us no child seats should go there (maybe that's
>just a Canadian thing?). The seat is very narrow, but much
>easier to install/remove than the Sienna 2nd row center seat
>(I can do it by myself). It is really more of a spare seat,
>IMO.

American Honda Motors does allow child restraint use in the PlusOne 8th seat in the center of the second row in the 2005-6 Odyssey. This includes harnessed child seats and boosters. Of course, the child restraint must fit properly using the ceiling mounted seatbelt. Given the narrow size, few seats may actually fit properly, but you can use the ones that do.

The main drawback is the lack of a top tether anchor. Since the use of a top tether improves the safety of front-facing harnessed seats, this type of seat would be better used in another seating position with such an anchor.

So, the PlusOne seat is best suited to any rear-facing seats that fit properly, narrow boosters and kids/teens big enough to be without a booster. Adults can use it provided they don't mind the narrow seat and comfort. The head restraint must also adjust high enough for them.

http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

Darren
http://www.seatcheck.net

CPSDarren
12-15-2005, 04:47 PM
>Now all we have to do is find a good price on the odyssey
>and/or find a 2005 they are willing to deal on. Now comes the
>fun part.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Heather
>DS 11/27/04

My local dealer is offering a $99 over invoice special on all in stock Odysseys from 12/22 to 1/2/06. This coincides with Honda's special financing of 2.9% to 4.9% running over the same time. The end of the year is a great time to get a deal on a vehicle. I suspect you should be able to find an Odyssey for invoice or even below invoice, especially if you are in a competitive region like Chicago.

sophiesmom
12-15-2005, 08:30 PM
wow that financing deal is great. i had a feeling we should have waited til the very end of the month. DH really wanted that silver 2005 touring edition though! oh well!
can't be happier so far with the van!

HIU8
12-16-2005, 12:04 PM
We are in Maryland. Actually, we went to edmunds.com and got quotes from 4 dealerships ranging from $25,800 to $28,000. We are still looking around though--may be going to the dealership that quoted the lowest price. The issue we have is finding out if they will take over/buyout the lease on our volvo as part of the deal (like when you tell them at the very end-after the price has been set--that you have a trade in).

Thank you for the info on the financing and the $99 over invoice. DH and I will see if we can get that here.

Heather