PDA

View Full Version : Minivan researching

HIU8
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
DH and I are looking into minivans. We are looking at Sienna, Odssey, town and Country and Caravan. What we end up with will be based on a number of issues including which car we can deal on best. I was wondering if anyone knows where LATCH is located in these cars (I think we are looking only at the 7 seat versions), do all of these have top tether anchors and whether side impact airbags are on all these models (it's hard to tell from kelly blue book, which is what we have been looking at to compare before we even go and test drive).

Thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04

bargainonboard
12-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm not too sure about the Chyrsler/Dodge products, but I believe LATCH is availale in all 5 seat positions on the Odyssey and Sienna, for the models you are looking at.

You will be able to deal on any of the models, but if you choose to buy a lower trim, the Odyssey has standard side air-curtain bags on all trim levels.

HIU8
12-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Thank you. I wish we didn't have to do it this way, but money is going to be a major issue with a new car and we want to make sure we get a good deal and all the safety features including LATCH and side impact airbags.

Heather
DS 11/27/04

erzzie
12-05-2005, 04:29 PM
You know LATCH isn't safer than seatbelts right? So not having LATCH in every position isn't really that big of deal...that said, my 06 Odyssey has latch in the middle row outboard spots and the rear center spot. It has side impact airbags in all 3 rows standard.

bubbaray
12-05-2005, 06:14 PM
The tether positions on the '05 Odyssey are the 2 outboard 2nd row seats, as well as the center 3rd row seat. Both the 2nd row outboard seats have LATCH anchors, as does the center 3rd row seat (according to the manual, but I can't check 100% for sure on my van as my 3rd row is currently down with a huge dog crate on top).

You aren't supposed to put a child seat in the 2nd row "8th" seat (its too small anyway).

So, depending on how many kidlets you will be driving around, you may or may not be able to make the Odyssey work. Here (Canada), FFg seats must be tethered. Thus, I could only use FFg seats in the 2nd row outboard or 3rd row center positions. However, I *could* put a RFg or BPB in the non-LATCH, no tether 3rd row outboard positions (but those positions would a huge PITA to put a RFg child in -- just saying its possible).

I believe the 8 passenger Sienna gives you one more LATCH/tethered seat (2nd row center) -- but you give up some room and armrests for the 2nd row outboard seats.

We looked at both the Sienna and Odyssey during my recent van purchase (briefly at the T&C, but quickly dismissed that as not being in the same league, plus DH drives one of those for works and says its junk). Both are great vans, you can't really go wrong with either. I preferred the styling of the Odyssey, so that is the one we went with. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

HIU8
12-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Right now DS is RF and we are not using LATCH. We are not going to turn DS FF until he reaches the limits of his Marathon RF (if he can go that long). Do you have to use LATCH when FF?

Heather

erzzie
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
No, you never HAVE to use latch. Latch is just an alternative to seatbelts. And actually, it only is usable to 48 lbs, so if you have an older child, there comes a time when you HAVE to use the seatbelt.

The only thing latch does is sometimes make it easier to install. Even with latch, sometimes a seatbelt install is easier or more solid--it just depends on the car and the seat.

On a Marathon, it's REALLY easy to use the seatbelt. The FF lockoff is built-in and really easy to use. Your manual should explain all the ways of installing--seatbelts and latch anchors.