PDA

View Full Version : Which Britax to buy?

hbangthompson
12-05-2005, 11:26 PM
I've gone through and read a LOT of the postings about the different pros/cons about various britax carseats and I'm still not sure what the significant differences between the seats are. My 6-month old daughter has grown out of her snugride and is currently using my son's old Advantage. But I want to get a new seat for her because the Advantage is a little beat up from all the flying we did with it (the adjustable knobs both broke off thanks to the gentle handling by the baggage folks).

What the difference between the Boulevard, Decathlon, Marathon, and Wizard? What is it that makes the prices range from $249 to $289? Many posters talk about the short crotch straps on the Boulevard--are they really that short? Any shorter than what they are on an Advantage? And couldn't the short crotch straps be compensated by adjusting the tightness on the shoulder harness?

I plan to head over to BRU this weekend to check them out, but I'd like some more info about what to look for or what feature to check out before I go. Also, my in-laws have offered to buy us this new carseat, so I'd like to let them know soon which one we'd like.

Sorry for the ramblings--thanks!

emmiem
12-06-2005, 12:41 AM
I would buy the Roundabout or the Marathon depending on how big of a child she is. Go to www.childseat.com to compare.
Michele

o_mom
12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Here is a comparison of the MA, DC, and BV:

http://www.signingtime.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=96

I didn't include the WZ because it is discontinued, but it is like the BV but with really narrow headwings. You won't see it at BRU and only a few online places still have it.

The short crotch strap issue is mainly that you have to dig under the child for it, since it naturally wants to lay toward the back of the seat. It is more pronounced in the MA and BV since they have a shorter crotch depth. It is also more noticable RF than FF since the seat reclines back. The DC has three positions for the crotch strap, so you can usually put it far enough out that it doesn't get lost under them.

HTH!

FirstOneInMarch
12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks for asking this question. I was just about to post the same thing. I'm debating on whether to buy the cheaper Roundabout and use it until my daughter reaches the 40 pound weight limit, or buy the more expensive Boulevard or Decathlon that will last her until she is 8 and can be out of a car seat altogether. I am assuming she'll be 65 pounds or under when she's 8, as she is 9 months now and has a few pounds left to outgrow the Snugride! I guess my additional question is do these things really last 7 years, or is there even another seat that we'll have to buy before she's 8?

And my grandma is volunteering to buy this one!

Kidrepair
12-06-2005, 10:20 PM
most kiddos outgrow these seats heightwise long before weightwise. I just purchased a MA for my 2 yr. old and decided to try out my 6 yr. old who weighs about 43 pds. and is 46 inches and she is over the top slots already. You will probably only have to buy a cheap no back booster by the time they outgrow these seats which is usally under $20.