PDA

View Full Version : How do I find the local # for installing car seat?

marit
12-09-2005, 04:19 PM
I would like to get help installing my new car seat safely. Where do I call for that?

Thanks,

Joolsplus2
12-09-2005, 04:27 PM
www.seatcheck.org has a tech locator, as do www.nhtsa.dot.gov and possibly even www.safekids.org , but I think your best bet is the first one. Fingers crossed you even have a tech nearby!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

marit
12-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Thank you! I called and left a message, I hope they will call me back. Can't wait to have mt Recaro installed!!!

Joolsplus2
12-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I've heard that seat is really easy to install... why not give it a try? Do you have an old car that requires locking clips or something? If not, run the belt through the belt path, climb into the seat, pull the belt tight, top tether it, and voila, done. (and techs LOVE it when you do things yourself before you come in, it makes our job much easier knowing you are wanting to be involved).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

marit
12-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, we have LATCH, and the reason I want to have it installed is because I also have to install my RA rear facing for my baby (it is now FF for my 3 yo girl, who will be getting the Recaro). I should probably try it myself, I just don't want to screw up...

uccomama
12-10-2005, 10:44 PM
There isn't much to screw up really, if you read the manual. Relying on a tech to always install your seat isn't really a smart thing to do, you never know when you might have to install the seats yourself in an emergency.

Give it a try and post back if you need help.

Deborah

clc053103
12-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Another option- try your local police dept. Our town and the next town over both have techs on the force, and neither are listed in the directory.

I have installed first and also taken an unistalled seat - our tech insists that you watch her do the install regardless- she prefers to teach you to install the seat, rather than just do it for you and send you on your way. If you take an uninstalled seat, then pay attention and take notes along with the book if need be, since seats need to be checked and sometimes reinstalled over time.