PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Booster & belt positioning seats

dogmom
12-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I need to get a seat for my MIL car. We have a Marathon & a Husky in ours. We had a Britax Galaxy (Basically a RA)that we had in her car for over a year, which she used only a half a dozen times. WE took it back when my DH needed it for his car, but my DS outgrew it. He is 38 lbs (which he has been for the last 18 months), but he is tall and he just doesn't fit into the seats that have harnesses for kids up to 40 lbs. (Especially in winter with the heavy clothes.) So I really don't want to buy my 4th Britax seat for $200 if it is hardly going to get used. Which I guess leaves me with toddler seats or boosters that will use the belt positioning system. Harvey is almost three, but he basically sits still in the car in his seat. I realize part of the age issue with boosters is they have to sit right, I honestly don't think that will be an issue. My MIL won't be taking long trips with him or anything.

The thing is I have NO idea how the belt positioning system works. So I can't really judge if it is an option for us or not. Any insights or suggestions?

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Joolsplus2
12-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I just read a study that young kids like that have WAY worse injuries in boosters than older kids do... his head is still frankly just too large for that one little shoulderbelt (a booster is just a seatbelt like we wear, but holds him up so it fits him) to hold it back and keep it protected.
But, good news! Since you were last here, the Cosco Apex (or might be called Alpha Elite if you check Amazon) came out. It's a harnessed booster that goes to a full 65 pounds with top slots as high as the Marathon, and it becomes a booster later, and is only $129. The only caveat with this seat is that the vehicle seat or headrest must be behind the child's head, so it won't work on a low bench seat, but other than that, it supposedly installs really well and works fine.
Or, get a Regent and use it in that car till he's too big for his other Britaxes, and THEN put him in a booster in grandma's car and put the Regent in your main car (Husky is discontinued, it's the Regent now...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx