PDA

View Full Version : Which Britax would I get?

funkyg
12-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Here's my current dilema ;)

I need a second car seat that will last me for a while weight/height wise. I'm going to get a Britax, but what kind? Either a Roundabout, Marathon, or Decathelon.

It will probably be used for a newborn or within the first 4 weeks on the newborn's life. It will be installed RF in a Ford Focus or another similarly small car. The carseat would remain in the car and not be removed.

1. I like the Roundabout because it is the smallest. But, wouldn't I end up buying the Decathelon in the long run anyways? Also, the Roundabout doesn't really have any fabrics I like, but that's not really an issue. I do like that it will take up less room RF.

2. I like the Marathon, but I hear it's pretty big. I'm not sure how it would fit RF in a small car? And it has some pretty fun covers!

3. The Decathelon I like because it would last for a very long time. It has some nice covers AND it has SIP, which I love. Would this be way too big for a small car RF? I've never seen one in person before so I don't know how it compares to the MA or RA.

I understand that all 3 of these seats are very safe. Also, 'm not sure if the Decathelon is good for a newborn. I'm not opposed to buying a new carseat in the RA will work best right from the start. I'm sure I'll have another kid that can use the RA before it expires. BTW...this is my first baby, I'm DIMarch.

Thanks!

Greta

Joolsplus2
12-12-2005, 07:42 AM
As long as the front seat passengers aren't way tall, the Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard fit *great* in a Ford Focus. The Decathlon and Boulevard are better for newborns/tiny babies, because they have cushy infant inserts. The Roundabout is nice and small, though, and makes a great seat if you are going to fly anywhere (the others are doable, but kind of bulky)...it should last to age 3-4, the bigger Britaxes last till age 5-6. That said... you could just get a second base for the Primo Viaggio, couldn't you? That seat will be lasting you 9-12 months and infant seats tend to 'go with the baby' everywhere they go.

Also see if the new Fisher Price Britaxes are any good (they have a "Marathon" and a "Roundabout" size for much cheaper...they should be out in early spring).

I'd keep reading about the pros/cons/loves/hates of the Decathlon/Boulevard and see if there are any improvements to the adjuster or lockoffs in the next round of seats made...ie, wait awhile before deciding and buying one.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

funkyg
12-12-2005, 07:49 AM
I didn't know that the Decathlon/Boulevard had those issues.

I guess I can get a second base the the Primo Viaggio, but I thought I'd rather spend that $70 on a second carseat. I just heard of some ppl having their kids outgrow the infant carseat by 4-5 months.
And, my mother wanted to buy the carseat as a baby shower gift so I thought it would have been a good idea.

I plan on flying, but not every month or anything that often. Maybe just a few times per year, but I would need a carseat once I got there. I never thought of that...maybe I should do the roundabout?

Joolsplus2
12-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Whoa, I hear you on not wanting to spend seventy bucks on a second base! (by the way, does your manual for your Primo happen to say you NEED a base to install it? I know that was an old rule, but not sure if the new one is the same). The old Primo was way smaller than the new one, so it's hard to tell how long kids will really last in the new bigger one...*hopefully* a lot longer than 4 months :)

The RA (Roundabout) definitely IS a nice seat, and I don't think you'd regret it (particularly if you are planning on more kiddos...the 'big' britaxes fit fine rearfacing in most cars, but the RA is just a smidge easier to fit and deal with in general)

funkyg
12-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Yeah...the new Primo can be installed without the base. The new measurements are 22 pounds or 30".

Next question...can a Roundabout fit a new baby comfortably? My neighbors have a RA and said that their DD (7 pounds 11 ounces) didn't fit right away. That she was too small for the seat and was hunched over? I wouldn't be using it until maybe 1-2 months in my DD life.

I never knew carseats were so complicated.

Joolsplus2
12-12-2005, 08:52 AM
It can be harder to get a proper recline with a convertible seat (roudabout, etc) so that yeah, a baby might not do so well in it (plus the harness is above the shoulders on newborns, so a proper fit is trickier), and that could contribute to slumping a bit. Usually they fit pretty well in Roundabouts, though...and if you can install the Primo without a base, you could even hold off another month before installing the Roundabout, if needed.

Ooooh yeah, they are complicated...it's so rare to ever see one used properly, I could just cry (of course, reading manuals thoroughly helps a LOT to stave off misuses, but even then there is always SOME little issue :P ).

funkyg
12-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Okay...I give up for now :) I'm just going to "waste" the money on an extra base for the primo right now for DH car. That way, I can take my baby to the store and try out the different seats when she is ready for a bigger one. I figure by that time, it will be about 1 year from now ;)

So, I've been reading through the old posts. I drive a 2004 trailblazer and I read the manual a few months ago and I think I remember that it only has LATCH on the outside. But, I could also install with a seatbelt in the center. BUT...I have a doggie that travels with me all the time too. If he has to, he can stay home, but I'd like to take him. He usually rides in the back seat so if I had it installed in the center he'd be crammed. The Primo has SIP but my trailblazer does not has side airbags. Is it a better idea to leave the doggie at home and put the seat in the center? :(

Also, after reading about all the techs who don't read up on the different carseats, etc...I'm a little worried about soley relying on a tech for a proper install. No offense to the good ones out there :)

Joolsplus2
12-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Well, make sure it's not some kind of monumental struggle to install that Primo without a base before you buy a second one...it really may be a breeze, and is no less safe than using a base (historically, seats without bases are safer than ones with bases but there are a huge number of confounding factors...I'm just saying it's safe when it's done right :) )
Really, any rearfacing seat is SO safe, that it doesn't make much difference if it is 'outboard' or center, and lots of people have lots of reasons to prefer the window seat (um...like we have two kids who would kill each other if they were side by side? lol), just make sure you have a harness for your dog, not really because it is supreme protection for the dog, but because any loose weight of any kind flying around the car in a crash can be fatal to the other occupants.

:)

funkyg
12-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Okay! Thanks so much for all your help!

For some reason I didn't think about installing without a base in the second car. Especially since the second car will not be used very often. I'll check that out!