PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit on vehicle tether anchors?

Elizasmom
12-12-2005, 11:47 AM
After a lot of debating, I have ordered a Regent for my 5-year-old rather than putting her in a booster. I do have one question before I put all reservations aside- what is the weight limit on the built-in tether anchors in vehicles? We know not to use the LATCH lower anchors after 48 points, so why is it okay to use a tether anchor until 80 pounds? In my vehicle, the tether anchor is attached to the seat back (probably welded on), it’s not drilled into solid steel on the floor or anything. Couldn't it break free with a very heavy child in the seat in a high-speed accident?

Joolsplus2
12-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Ok, here's the official low-down from the LATCH/Tether manual:

If the anchor, tether hook, strap, or connection to the Child Restraint were to fail, it would do so late in the crash sequence. It already would have restricted forward motion of th top of the CR significantly while still attached absorbing crash energy in the process of deforming, stretching and/or breaking. Both would result in considerably reduced head excursion compared to what would happen if the CR were not tethered. It should be noted that in the few documented cases of tether failure in extreme dynamic tests, it has often been the hook or connection point to the child restraint that has failed, not the anchor itself.>>

So, bottom line, despite the low listed weight limit on the car's anchor itself (if any is given?), it's not really a concern in the real world with higher weight sesats.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx