PDA

View Full Version : Moms of two -- car seat dilemma

phirey
12-15-2005, 03:20 PM
OK, DD#2 is not out of her Snugride yet, but she hates it so we're considering switching her early. Also, I "won" one of the 25% off TRU coupons from AMEX, and it expires Jan. 15 -- I figured we'd get the new seats with it.

Currently we have DD#1 in RA in my Volvo wagon and an MA in DH's F150 truck. She just turned 3 and is 38" and 33 lbs. I know she'll outgrow the RA soon.

So for DD#2 is it best to buy one more MA and one more RA, putting DD#2 RF in the RA in both cars. Or should we move DD#2 into the old RA and MA and upgrade DD#1 into a good booster? We like to place the carseats side by side (the RF center and the FF outboard), leaving one outboard back seat for an adult to get in if needed to calm the baby (has had to happen a lot since the baby hates her snugride). So fit is a concern but not an absolute dealbreaker.

Also, Jools, do you mind looking in your big green book for the center LATCH info on my 2005 Volvo V70? I say LATCH is not OK in the center on my car, DH says it's OK...

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
12-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Awww...my heart's all aflutter... you remember the color of the LATCH book :D. They really do specificy LATCH is only for outboard, though (boo hoo, but with seats side by side, you couldn't use LATCH for center and outboard, anyway...).
I would try the Graco Platinum (or Ultra, they are the same) Cargo for Margot... it's very narrow and should fit next to the RA in there (you'd ideally put the Cargo in the center, RA outboard, but if that doesn't quite work, the other way around is ok, that car is loaded with airbags). One reason I like the Cargo for that car is that it's narrow, but also it's low enough not to interfere with the non-removable headrests... if you try to put an MA ff in there, the headrest pushes it way forward (unless they've changed the headrests since 2004? It used to be a HUGE problem...).

It should be 18 mos-2 years before she's too tall or heavy for the cargo with the harness, and then you can look at a really good dedicated booster seat. (oh, the Evenflo Generations is also a fine choice, if the Cargo doesn't appeal to you, and possibly the Cosco Apex might be a good choice for the Truck, if they have one at your TRU, it's worth a look..I just lean towards the cargo more since it's so narrow and has EPS head protective foam)

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

o_mom
12-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Three is much too young for a booster, she needs a harness for at least another year or two.

I would get either a MA and a RA or two MA. I would lean toward two MA if possible, because in approx three more years, your first set will expire (assuming you got them when DD1 was 6 mos) and then you will have two MA for DD2 and can keep her harnessed longer in both cars. It's $50 now, to avoid having to get another one or a combo seat later if she outgrows the RA.

The only other option would be a good combo seat like the Recaro, but they aren't available at TRU. You might consider the Apex, but they seem to be a step down from Britax and you have to have headrests in the car. They are at BRU - is your certificate good there too?

phirey
12-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Wow, Julie, thanks for the quick reply -- but you're freaking me out with the non-Britax recommendations! Are these seats as good as the Britaxes? Or are you suggesting them entirely because of the narrowness?

I hate to split hairs here, but what is safer -- a beefy seat like a Marathon or Decathalon or whatever, placed outboard because of the size, or a narrower seat in the center?

And for DH's truck, where size is less of an issue, are your recommendations the same?

Thanks so much!!!!

phirey
12-15-2005, 04:03 PM
sorry, double post!

Joolsplus2
12-15-2005, 04:23 PM
I promise, I'm just basing my reco's on size and probable fit to car... not to mention, a Cargo with EPS foam is really very safe (maybe not as safe as a Boulevard, but nothing is as safe as that...)
You can get a Boulevard/MA/Decathlon for the Truck, if you want... Or IF it fits in the Volvo next to the RA, by all means, get it.

I had a paragraph about the Recaro Young Sport, but they don't have it at TRU :P (so I deleted it, lol)...it's a REALLY nice seat...really a better use of money than a convertible like another MA would be (not that you won't get 3 good years of use out of an MA, but you could get 6-7 years out of the Recaro, which makes an awesome booster).

:)

phirey
12-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh, believe me, I'm not dedicated to getting it at TRU. I mean, they sell a MA for what, $250? Well 25% off just barely puts them into range of a good online deal.

Does the Recaro fit in the Volvo? I never knew the headrests would be an issue...it looks tall in the pics.

Thanks again!

Joolsplus2
12-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, the Young Sport fits in the Volvo http://uccomama-ivil.tripod.com/id14.html

You are going to cry to hear this, but there are no more online Britax deals :(... they started price fixing to make it fair for their B&M stores who couldn't compete, so the glory days are over. The best we can get now is the occasional close out fabric with free shipping for $219 :P (and MSRP's are about to increase... 269 for the MA, 299 for the BV, 219 for the RA...crazy! but it has to do with plastic prices going up, i think...waaaaaaaah!)

jennifer13
12-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi,
We had a similar dilemma (although a different car) and put baby in the RA and got a Graco Platinum Ultra like Jools recommended. It's really a nice seat, installs easily, lightweight but solid, and has the EPS head foam. DD seems very comfortable in it. We've been very pleased with it, and happy that it was $99 at Target. DD can also climb into it herself which is big since she is in the "I do it!" stage, and helpful because she climbs in while I get the baby situated, then I go back and fasten her in. Good luck!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05