PDA

View Full Version : question about Key Fit colors and where to buy

JenaW
12-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Since it looks like Natalie might actually be coming home soon (YIPEE!!!!!) we need to get our butts in gear with a new car seat. Our snugride barely worked for Madigan when she was born - she was 6lbs 2oz, and we had to take out the chest clip in order to tightne the belts appropriately. So I know Natalie will never fit in that. It seems like the Key fit will work since they claim with the infant insert it works down to 4 pounds and Natalie was almost 4 1/2 last night.

ANyways - does any one know where the best place to buy it is? It seems like the general price is $149 - some places seem to hvae free shipping. I did see a post that said One Step ahead had it on sale for $105, but they only have the plaid pattern (is this the iceburg??) and they do not have free shipping, so it really isn't saving that much since I am not thrilled with that color anyways. Someone posted a coupon for Great Beginnigs Baby that saves 15% (22.50) but they don't have free ship, so the total price is $138.89. Is this the best I can do??

Does it only come in iceburg adn explorer? Is the iceburg green or grey? I think I want the explorer but is it black and red or orange and tan. I keep seeing it both ways and don't know if they are two different patterns or just color variations. HELP?!!!

Jera

Joolsplus2
12-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Try coupon AMERBABY at One Step Ahead (Or I have ZFROSTY...try that, too, for comparison)...that made mine 89$ plus $18 shipping, so still only $107. General concensus is that it fits small babies MUCH better than the Snugride (yay!). It's only in that greyish (that's what it looks like to me on the website, I don't have it yet) plaid, but for that price, I don't care. I guess explorer is grey with red piping (or is explorer the plaid one I'm getting? I'm sorry, I'm a dunce at the fabric names!), and iceburg is charcoal with orange (????)...I've never seen that really brown one for sale, it might only be the prototype (???).
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

seeks1
12-16-2005, 10:20 AM
I have looked as these a lot! This is my understanding...

Explorer: Navy Blue with Tan and Red (you can see a good picture of this one on the yahoo group Strollerswap under pictures in the Chicco C1 versus P3 folder)(my personal favorite)

Iceberg: Charcoal and tan with orange

Notting Hill: The plaid you keep seeing.

Sahara: Only as a travel system at Babies R Us with the Cortina stroller I believe. It is the brown, tan, with orange that you see in a lot of demo pictures.

I have seen the Notting Hill called Iceberg in a few places in error I believe. But the descriptions I have above seem pretty consistent when you do a lot of research which I have because I am looking at the strollers also. If you go to Babies R Us and do a search for Chicco and go through the different pages you can see either the strollers or car seats in all patterns besides Notting Hill.

Price wise, I have only seen the Notting Hill at less than $149.
Hopes this helps!

SACS
12-17-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm confused now. I went to look at these yesterday and in my store they were as follows:

Iceberg: Navy and Orange (more of a plastic type waterproof like material)

Explorer: Almost black and Red with a tan type tweed. The fabric was a bit softer.

Is it possible that there is variance in them? I am looking to order online, but went to look at the store. I don't want to order the wrong one.

Joolsplus2
12-17-2005, 06:32 PM
It's possible there's some variance in the colors online... if you saw it IRL, then that's the best judge...I got my Notting Hill yesterday, and it's grey plastic, but the plaid is definitely tan-ish (would look fine in both grey or tan cars, the fabric isn't exactly soft, but I've felt rougher...). I thought it would be grey-er, but am not disappointed, it'll look fine in my grey interior.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

wimama
12-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I have seen the Explorer color in real life too. I think it was a dark gray/black, tan and red. We went to USA baby and they had the Explorer color. I saw they Iceberg Pattern when at Babies-R-Us, when on vacation. I prefer the Exlorer Pattern. I am not really big on the color orange.

We also tried it out with a 2006 P3 stroller in Toffee. They looked pretty good together. I didn't really care for the new Chicco strollers that went with it. Since, I don't really plan on using the car seat in the stroller often, I think the P3 will work well enough with it. And I like the Toffee color of the stroller, the fabric is very soft.

Edited to add: The Explorer and Iceburg colors are now both available online at Babies-R-Us.

JenaW
12-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks so much for all your help. I decided to go with an ebay seller. It came out to $135 (she offered the paypal coupons) and free shipping. I waited so long to order it that I was afriad that it would not get here in time. (This morning on rounds the doctors said MAYBE this week for Natalie's discharge if she can take all 8 feeds by mouth. So far we have done 4 in a row, but then she is exhausted for the rest of the day, so we'll see). he seller lives very close to Pittsburgh so hopefully either it will not take long to ship or I can pikc it up in person!

Thanks again

Jera

mom to little e
12-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I just ordered the one on One Step Ahead with the AMERBABY code and it was also $107 with shipping. While it doesn't seem too fun or exciting in terms of colors to me, the gray/tan combination should go well in our tan interior car and in with our gray Silver Cross stroller (hope it fits).

One more thing off the list!!! Only two weeks to go til baby comes!

Maryann

Ean 11/06/03
& Ean's Baby Sister due to arrive via c-section 01/04/06!

dzingirl
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Does anyone have that coupon code for Great Beginnings mentioned in the original post? I really much prefer the Explorer pattern and I think this might be the cheapest way to get it.

Thanks!