PDA

View Full Version : For Grandma's car: Scenera or Marathon?

Jase
12-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I've been going back and forth about this and just need to make a decision now b/c Jason is just about outgrown his Snugride at 5 months.

I purchased a Britax Boulevard for our X5. I would like to purchase another car seat for Grandma as she takes Jason in the car with her when she picks up/drops off my niece to preschool. The question is: should I get a Scenera or splurge for Marathon?

I went to KMart to view the Scenera and it doesn't seem to be much padding? Does this really matter as school is only 7 mins away and she does not drive long distances? I will also be using the car seat when we travel (going to Hawaii in May!) so thought Scenera would be lighter...

Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your comments or suggestions!

DebbieJ
12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
I own both seats and I say go for the Scenera.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Joolsplus2
12-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe a roundabout? Definitely the easiest to install and use and only a bit heavier than the Scenera.
I do love the Scenera for a cheap light seat, but the RA is just so nice to use and install. Maybe even a Radian? Brand new, but maybe it's at one of your better baby stores (it's heavy but folds down to nothing, and is a fairly nice convertible).

Kind of depends on your budget and what you like...I'm sure a few of us would have Roundabouts instead of Sceneras if they were in our budgets :D.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

DebbieJ
12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Yes, I agree with Julie. If I had another $100 lying around, I probably would have sprung for the Roundabout.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Jase
12-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks! I think I can find the extra money to go for the Roundabout. Do you happen to know the weight/height limit for both? He seems like he's growing at such a speedy rate!

BillK
12-18-2005, 07:02 PM
We just went through the same scenario and based upon Julie's ever dependable wisdom ended up with an RA - iirc the height/weight limit on the RA and Scenara is practically identical.

o_mom
12-18-2005, 07:19 PM
We have both, and while the stated limits may be similar(RA=40, Scenara=43), the Scenara is defintely taller. DS1 is about 1/2-1" below the top slots of the RA, but 1/2-1" below the SECOND to top slots on the Scerara, giving him at least 3" of torso length before it is outgrown.

DS1 will surely outgrow the RA by height before weight, but the Scenera will probably last to 40 lbs. Also, he can still rear-face in the Scenera, but not the RA (I know Britax says it's OK until the tops of the ears, but I'm not comfortable with that and his head is just above the top of the shell.)

Jase
12-19-2005, 02:28 PM
After all the great advice, I've decided to go with the Marathon! Thanks everyone!