PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding a car seat and stroller

macmom
12-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I am six months pregnant with my first child and I am driving my husband crazy trying to find the best car seat and stroller at a reasonable price. We don't have a lot of money. Can anyone give me suggestions on what would be best to buy. I thought I had my heart set on a City Savvy Stroller by combi and a tyro infant car seat by combi but I read some reviews and they are not good. I need help.

Joolsplus2
12-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I would definitely check out the stroller board...you'd be surprised that you can get a great stroller and a great carseat that aren't sold together, but still work together :). Or, start off with a 'snap n go' to decide what your stroller needs *really* are (maybe a combi stroller doesn't suit your needs at all...).

The most important thing to look for in a car seat is a 5-pt harness (not just a 3-pt "V" shape) and a front harness adjuster (little strap in the front of the seat). I DO like my Combi Connection a lot (it's really light, and installs well with or without the base)..I also love my Chicco Key Fit, it installs even easier than the Combi, but is a heavier seat. I'm not a huge fan of my Britax Companion (yes, I have a big collection for my baby due in February, lol). Most people really like the Graco Snugride (look for the models that go to 22 pounds..you might find the old 20 pound ones still on shelves for sale prices, but don't even consider them, they don't last long at all!).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Momof3Labs
12-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Another thought is that if money is tight, save the $100 for an infant car seat that will have a very short lifespan and just buy a good convertible seat that will last you a long, long time. They are still safe for infants (assuming that the weight minimums are met)!

Joolsplus2
12-16-2005, 06:40 PM
I wish more of us had seen the Graco Safeseat and that it were online! It goes to 30 pounds and 32 inches...that's a seat that would be worth the money, I think, if it's nice...

Good point though...no reason anyone HAS to have an infant seat... better to blow the entire budget on a really good convertible that'll last 4-6 years.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

eatompkins
12-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I am due with my third boy in February. I wanted an infant car seat with high weight and height limits, and the convenience of a light and convenient stroller.

This weekend I purchased the new Graco SafeSeat at Babies R Us in Chesapeake, VA ($149). The limits are 30 inches, 32 pounds. The only color they offered was called Fusion, a combination of gray and teal. It seemed only slightly heavier and wider than Graco's SnugRide.

For a stroller, I also purchased the SnugRider (Graco's version of the click-n-go) for use with the seat ($60). It fits the SafeSet nicely, is light, and steers well.

Because this baby is my third, I also purchased a Peg Perego Aria twin on Ebay. Like the SnugRide, the SafeSeat will (unofficially) fit the Aria in one seat facing forward (though it scrunches the other seat some, so I would likely only use this combo in a pinch).

From my previous children, I have the Peg Perego Venezi, and the SafeSeat fits nicely in that stroller too.

I have been looking for the SafeSeat and was so surprised to find it while shopping at Babies R Us. I have not been able to find out if it is offered in any other colors.

So, to wrap up my recommendation for you, I would recommend the Graco SafeSeat becuase of it's high limits (thus allowing you to likely get a year's use out of the seat), the Graco SnugRider for carrying the car seat on those quick trips to the store, and the Venezia for longer walks (with or without the infant car seat).

macmom
12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked online at the Graco SnugRider and like it a lot. I just haven't found one that I like the color of yet. Any suggestions. I registered at Baby's R Us but they have an a brown one on line.