PDA

View Full Version : other car seat

tksvin
12-16-2005, 11:04 PM
I am getting very confused reading all of the information posted. My little guy is 15 mo and weighs about 33lbs and about 34.5inches. Anyways I'm looking for a car seat for Grandma's car. I currently have a Britax Wizard. I have no idea what type of seat to get and what is safest. I'd rather not spend a ton of money but will if I have to...please help!

DebbieJ
12-17-2005, 12:32 AM
You can get him a Cosco Touriva or Scenera and that will buy you another 2 pounds for rear-facing. The Britax rear-facing limit is 33 lbs. :(

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Scatterbunny
12-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I would get a Cosco Touriva/Scenera so he can be rear-facing for two more pounds, I would also consider moving the Wizard to grandma's car and using the Touriva/Scenera in your car so he can remain rear-facing longer.

If rear-facing isn't a concern for you at this point, I would skip a convertible seat altogether and go with a combination seat (forward-facing only, converts to a booster) like the Recaro Young Sport (the most expensive, at $250, but makes the best booster and has awesome side wings), Evenflo Generations/Bolero, the Graco Ultra/Platinum CarGo or the Safety 1st Apex/Cosco Alpha Elite Apex (the only combo seat that harnesses above 40 pounds; must have vehicle seatback or headrest at least up to the tips of the child's ears).

You could also consider a Britax Husky/Regent or another Britax 65 pound weight limit seat (like the Wizard) for your car and letting grandma use the Wizard in her car. I only suggest this because you have such a big boy on your hands, and seats with a higher weight limit are probably going to be a necessity.

SusanMae
12-17-2005, 11:33 PM
What about the Apex/Alpha Elite?

It's a bit less than the big Britax's and the harness goes to 65 pounds and then it becomes a booster. The only limitation is that it needs a headrest behind it. The tops of the ears must be no higher than the seatback or head rest for it to be safe as a booster. That rule may apply to the harness mode too, but I'm not sure off the top of my head? Julie or Darren...can you answer that?

Susan

bensmom
12-18-2005, 08:49 AM
I haven't seen the seat IRL, but from what I've read, tops of ears rule applies to all modes - booster and harness.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom