PDA

View Full Version : Graco SafeSeat question

kphil
12-18-2005, 06:23 PM
I saw below that someone said they just bought one of these, so I went looking online to see if I could find them anywhere. I did finally find one, being sold as part of a travel system on WalMart.com. There was one thing that struck me about the description--it says:

"Car seat: REAR FACING UP TO ONE YEAR for infants 5 - 30 pounds and up to 32 inches in height"
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4359221

Does that mean this carseat is not supposed to be used once a child hits one year?? That seems like that would negate some of the benefits of an infant seat that goes to 30pounds. I know the main thing is for people whose kids hit 22lbs+ before they're one year, but I thought this seat might encourage people to continue rf beyond one year, for kids who take longer to hit 30 pounds. Instead, it seems like it will cause people to turn their child the day they turn one. :(

I already have a KeyFit for our upcoming baby, so I don't think there's be any reason for me to look into this seat much anyway, but I was just curious about it. I switched my other kids to a rf convertible around 4-5 months, so the longer use of an infant seat isn't a relevant benefit to me--I can't imagine carrying a 30 pound baby around in the bucket seat! (Then again, I don't like carrying a 10 pound baby around in a bucket seat, either ;))

Kirsten

Joolsplus2
12-19-2005, 01:31 PM
I think it's just part of the blurb.. I'm quite sure they don't mean you need to move your kid at a year, but they are trying to give you a fair idea of how long it should last (my petite/average dd was 32 inches and maybe 20 pounds at 18 months...and maybe so leggy she'd still be well under an inch from the top of the seat!) (Side note, check out slings and snuglis with 35 pound weight limits... parents have NO idea how big or old or heavy that really is, so maybe it's not SO bad they say a year on the Safeseat? I'd rather they say 18 months, though, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx