PDA

View Full Version : Snugride - LATCH or belt?

gcampbell72
12-19-2005, 03:59 AM
Baby #2 is due to arrive this week, so I have moved my DS's Marathon to the outboard seat of our 2001 Passat (using LATCH) and now need to install our 2003 Snugride behind the driver's seat. Since I hated using the locking clip with the Snugride last time around, I was looking forward to being able to use LATCH in installing the Snugride. Now that I look at the Consumer Reports ratings, it looks like they are indicating that a seatbelt install of the Snugride is better than with LATCH. Should I go with the LATCH install or stick with the dreaded seatbelt install with locking clip?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cathy
mom to Owen, 10/17/03
and baby #2 due 12/21/05

bensmom
12-19-2005, 10:03 AM
If you can get a tight install with LATCH, I'd use that. Consumer Reports doesn't explain their findings. Generally, seatbelt and LATCH are equally safe, assuming correct installs with both.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

Joolsplus2
12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Yeah, CR is so vague we have no idea what they actually mean about the belt being better, and early tests by more reputable agencies found LATCH to be considerably safer than the belt in most all instances (matched seats, so Snugride w/belt vs. Snugride with LATCH).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx