PDA

View Full Version : RFing toddler loosening latch straps?

emschwar
12-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Noah's 20 months (well, a few days shy), 24 lbs, 12 oz and I don't know how tall ;) He's still RFing in the Roundabout, and I'd like to keep him that way as long as possible. But lately, he thinks it's a good idea to shove his feet against the seat back and push as hard as he can. Problem is, I think he's loosening the latch straps when he does it. Any ideas? Should I just keep tightening them? Or is it time to turn him FFing? Thanks.

Joolsplus2
12-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Weeeeellll...the LATCH straps are really supposed to take thousands of pounds of crash force, and the 20 or so pounds he's exerting on them *shouldn't* be loosening them...maybe just rearranging the seat so it's in a 'looser position' sort of. Do you have reclining vehicle seats? Reclining them a notch or two gives him more legroom, or possibly reclining the RA a smidge (but not more than the max of 45 degrees) would give him more legroom. Or try installing RF with the seatbelt (very easy with the RA) and unhooking the LATCH. But no, don't turn him around yet unless his head is even with the top of the seatback (or he hits 33 pounds, of course)...even a 'kind of loose' rearfacing install is miles safer than even the tightest FF install.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

emschwar
12-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks! I didn't really want to turn him. And if it's still safer RFing, even with slightly loose straps, I'll work on giving him a little more leg room and get it really tight.

On a side note - I thought he could stay RFing until his ears hit the top of the seat. Am I wrong there? We're nowhere near that, since he's still on the lowest harness strap slots, but it'd be nice to know when I need to turn him.

Joolsplus2
12-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah, the Britax manual officially says you can leave him RF till the tops of the ears are even with the top of the seat or 33 pounds. So you can do that if you feel comfortable with it when the time rolls around. But sometimes if you call Britax, they tell you only till the head is even with the top of the seat...so I'm not exactly sure what they are trying to say!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx