PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on installing Scenera in an Infinity under less than ideal conditions!

Canna
12-19-2005, 02:14 PM
DD & I are flying to visit my mom tomorrow. I asked her to buy a Scenera, install it, & have it inspected. Well, it is not installed...so I am going to be installing it myself for the first time when I arrive at the Houston airport. Is this a disasterous plan? Will I be able to get it in snugly (RF) using LATCH? Anyone have experience or pointers?

Joolsplus2
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Fingers crossed for you, but I don't think it'll be too tough. Ask her to bring an old bathtowel just in case you need it for decent recline. Just make sure the LATCH straps are running through the rearfacing belt path (under the bum), and then clip each one (in an infiniti, it's going to have to be the outboard seat, NOT the center), and push down on the seat in various places as you pull the latch strap tight (ie, push down in the seat to get it tight, push down on the back to get the recline a little better, or towards the front to get it more upright...it's a pretty 'free form' install, but that makes it easier, IMO).
Here's what the seat looks like from lots of angles http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/writermomof2/album?.dir=/5856&.src=ph
And this isn't the best picture, but here it is installed with a decent recline http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/RFAlbum/Kaitlyn.aspx (those pics aren't mine, but aren't they the cutest kids?)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

bensmom
12-19-2005, 02:28 PM
I have a Regal Ride, not a Scenera that I install at airports in my parents' cars. I believe that the LATCH on the Scenera is better than the Regal Ride (they redesigned it), but you should do fine either way. With the Regal Ride, I often use the seatbelt instead of LATCH, but LATCH might be worth a try.

Here's a few pointers:

1. I often find that the nicer the car, the harder it is to use LATCH :) My mom's Lexus has the LATCH anchors so buried in the seat cushions that it's really hard for me to get the clips onto the anchors. If that's the case, I'd probably go for the seatbelt if you are in a hurry and then fix it once you get home and have more time.

2. Assuming you only have lap/shoulder belts to deal with, I find that if I buckle the seatbelt correctly through the carseat, then pull up on the shoulder portion of the seatbelt right near the latchplate (while kneeling into the seat and getting all of the "squish" out of the car's seat cushion), I usually can get the lap portion tight pretty quickly. Once you have the lap portion tight (and while still holding the belt by the latchplate), pull your seatbelt all the way out at the retractor to "lock" the belt (I believe that the seatbelts in the Infinity are switchable retractors). The seat may tip slightly from the shoulder belt, but seems to get worse over time once the baby is out of the seat - so you'd be ok until you got home and could work on the LATCH install (or using a locking clip).

3. Make sure to tell mom to park and that it will take a few minutes to get the seat in - it's much harder to do when you're feeling really rushed.

4. How old is your DD? The seat is somewhat upright when installed. It's fine for an older infant (my son sits relatively upright in it), but you might want mom to bring a towel just in case you need it.

ETA: I must have posted at the same time as Julie - ditto to what she said!

HTH!
Have a great trip.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

Joolsplus2
12-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Ditto, nothing...you did a much better job! :D
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

o_mom
12-19-2005, 02:33 PM
1. Have her bring a pool noodle or rolled up towel available in case you need to adjust the recline.

2. Have her bring a small flashlight so you can see what you are doing - airport parking garages are usually not well lighted.

3. Sit DD in it on the ground outside the car first to set the shoulder strap height and crotch strap depth before installing. Also route the LATCH belt at this time - it comes just hanging out one side of the seat. Look in the manual at the routing of the belt with respect to the crotch strap - it has to be in front of the crotch strap.

4. Pull back the sides of the cover when threading the strap if you need to make it easier to see. You might have to look at the manual to see how the cover unhooks.

5. The front of the seat has a plastic piece that kind of wraps around like "legs" - route the belt under/inside of these down to the LATCH anchors for the tightest fit. There is a picture on p24 of the manual that shows this.

I just installed this last week in our Subaru and the only issue was the recline angle.

smilla653
12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Good luck, Christy! Looks like you've gotten really good advice.

tjham
01-03-2006, 12:43 AM
I just installed mine in the dark tonight since I will have my 7 mo old grandson early tomorrow. I don't want to have to do it in a hurry with him in a sling or left inside in case we have to go somewhere. I was glad to find this thread to feel better that I installed it correctly, with a noodle, although I wish I could get it a bit tighter. It's in a 05 Expedition, middle back seat, with Latch. The up and down wiggle bothers me but I have read about it often enough here to know it is OK.