PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Decalthlon Installation Question...Ford Winstar LX 2003

nbrackman
12-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi!

Well, I bought the Decathlon. I hated the feel of the bodyguard's seat material and so did ds, plus I didn't really like that knob adjuster thing. And I really liked the adjustable crotch strap.

I want to install it rear-facing behind the driver's seat (outboard position on the 2nd row bench seat) but it's a power-seat adjuster and there's no tether anchor under the driver's seat. What to do?

If I move dd's Marathon to that position she'll be forward facing in the outboard position, and I would rather have her ff in the other seat of the bench as it's more to the middle of the vehicle. But I definitely want to tether the DC rear facing.

HELP!

bensmom
12-20-2005, 04:58 PM
If you slide the driver's seat forward and look at the seat track, can you fit the d-ring strap that should have come with the DC (small strap with loop to hook tether to) around the seat track? Then you can slide the seat back (just be careful not to slide it back too far).

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

nbrackman
12-20-2005, 05:56 PM
There's no place for it to go in and out unless I attach the D-ring to a horizontal bar that's part of the seat, in which case it would move back and forth when the seat is adjusted.

I tried to get it into the base of the seat belt attachment but there's not enough room.

Anyone?

hapaness
12-21-2005, 01:50 AM
In my 98 Windstar if you put your hand under the driver's seat there is a thick metal bar that runs horizontally...its attached to the actual seat. Its a squeeze to thread the d-ring through it but it worked for me, you have to wait until the driver's seat is adjusted properly to tighten the tether though. I am not sure if it would be the same for your seat but you should check it out.

Joolsplus2
12-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Do you adjust your seat, really? I know it's supposed to be basically a non-moving part, but from a safety perspective, that seat is *bolted* to the car... can you remove any of the plastic bits down there that make everything look all smooth and pretty...sometimes they pop right off and there's a nice ugly metal leg that's made for a d-ring.

Fingers crossed!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

nbrackman
12-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Well, what I ended up doing was attaching the tether directly to the floor seatbelt anchor. There was enough room to do that but there wasn't enough to push the strap for the D-ring through.

Is that kosher? I got a nice tight fit and the seat is reclined to about 40 degrees, which seems perfect for baby boy. He fell right asleep today (YEAH!).

Joolsplus2
12-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, seatbelt anchors are terrific for RF tethering :)

Cool beans, I'm glad he's out of that Snugride and happy (so many babies seem to hate snugrides, I wonder what's up with that??? I'm getting afraid to recommend them anymore!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx