PDA

View Full Version : Need advice- another airplane travel question

JTsMom
12-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Tried searching, but I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for, so bear with me- I know this is a frequently discussed topic.

Here are the basics- DS is a 7 month old, about 16 lbs and change, 26ish inches tall. We have a MA in our Camry. We're going to visit both Grandmas in the next couple of months, so we'll be taking 2 flights, one of which I'll be doing w/out DH.

Do I buy another carseat, or is it not worth it? If so, which one? I doubt we'll be flying tons over the next couple of years, but will need to occassionally.

Thanks!
Lori

Zansu
12-22-2005, 08:43 AM
What stroller will you be taking with you, if any?

Will you be flying Southwest? If not, will your flights be on the smaller regional jets, or on mainline aircraft (this helps to establish seat size)?

JTsMom
12-22-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't think I'm going to bother with a stroller b/c we'll only be there for 3 days. If I do take one, it'll probably be one of those cheapy umbrella ones, but I'm leaning towards just wearing DS.

We'll be flying Delta- one of the small regional jets for this trip.

Now trip #2 will be a bigger adventure. Grandma 2 is in CA, we're in FL, so that'll be a big jet- we usually fly Jet Blue. I'll probably take my P3 for that one.

Also, if it helps, Grandma #1 has a Sienna, so that's the car the seat will be in for the first trip. Grandma 2 doesn't drive anymore, so we'll have a rental for that trip.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-22-2005, 10:17 AM
I personally think it would be worth it to spend $40 on a serena. If you do not have a ticket for your ds on the plane i would have grandma #1 buy the seat for you so that you do not have to drive from the airport with no seat. If you are going first to visit grandma who does not drive i would bring the seat with you and gate check it. If you have a seat for ds ignore this. I would do this because the MA is so big and unwieldy and heavy and i have heard the serena is very light. If you bring your umbrella stroller you could plop the seat in the stroller and put your bag inside and just sling ds.

Have a great time! I am in CA right now and yesterday i think it was about 80 degrees!

Ilana

stillplayswithbarbies
12-23-2005, 12:34 AM
I fly with my Marathon all the time. If you are not bringing a stroller, get the GoGoKidz for the airport. (I don't have one because I use my stroller and hang the carseat off the handle) Or get a luggage cart to strap it to. Or wear it like a backpack. Or get a backpack carrier for it. Honestly it seems easier just to take a stroller for the airport if nothing else.

It's much easier to use my familiar carseat on the plane and in rental cars than to get a new one and have to figure it out and curse about it the whole time. I know my Marathon, I love my Marathon, why not use it on trips?

JTsMom
12-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Ok, dumb question- how do you hang it off the handle? Do you just use the harness?

stillplayswithbarbies
12-23-2005, 08:06 PM
I use the Strol'r Swivl'r hooks on the handle of the stroller and loop the harness over the hooks. Britax says not to carry it by the straps, so I rest the base of it on the stroller axle when I can so that the weight is not all on the straps.

Zansu
12-24-2005, 09:59 AM
I would take the P3 with you on trip #1. I can't imagine traveling without a stroller. Just having somewhere to put DC, and something to help carry the bags, etc.

The one advantage of flying the RJs is that the bigger carry-ons are valet-checked, so you leave them on the jet bridge, and they are returned to you there (This is on AA, and I assume DL is the same).

Have Grandma 1 buy the Scenera, as PP suggested. Have her keep the box and you can bring it back with you on the plane as checked luggage. Or keep it there if you will be making multiple trips before DC turns 2.

For trip 2, take your Marathon (or the Scenera, if it comes back with you from GM1). The carseat will fit into the P3, and DC can sit in the carseat while it's in the stroller.

JTsMom
12-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll try that.