PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Used car seat

jessi
12-22-2005, 11:11 AM
My 6 month old son is too big for his SnugRide and I bought another car seat from a friend. Although I should be using it by now, I have been leary to do so because I don't know much about this model and if it is safe. Plus I don't have the user's manual so I don't want to use it incorrectly.

It is a Century (I don't know the model). It has three harness slots, front adjustment, and an adjustable bar shield. It can be used forward and rear facing. It has not passed the date stamped on the backside (Do not use after November 2006)--however we live in the extreme heat of Texas, I don't know if that shortens the time of usage, the friend who I got it from, her daughter is 5 years old so the seat is at least 4 or 5 years old. I do not have the user's manual, the friend I bought it from doesn't know where it went. She told me it has never been in an accident.

I would rather buy a new one (clean, fresh and less worries) but I told my husband I would research to find out if this one is usable or not because I'm sure he would rather use it than buy a new one (unless it is unsafe, of course).

Please tell me if you think I should use this seat or buy a new one.

Also, if you recommend a new seat, could you please recommend a good affordable seat I could get at Babies/Toys R US. (One with higher height/weight allowances would be best since my son seems big for his age so far.)

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Jessi

Joolsplus2
12-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Just based on it having the overhead shield, I wouldn't recommend using it. 5-pt harnesses are much, much safer :)
If you have to buy from TRU/BRU and want a higher weight seat, the Britax Marathon is your best bet. You'll be able to use it for 5-6 years, so while it's spendy, it's VERY safe, and you do get a lot of use out of it. The Evenflo Triumph is also a nice choice...won't last as long (most kids get too tall for it at 3-4), but is a good price. The Safety 1st Intera or Cosco Alpha Sport are also good choices (don't expect the to last forever, but as harnessed convertibles they really aren't bad). If you are really on a tight budget and can shop at Target or Walmart, then the Cosco Scenera is an awesome choice...it's very basic, but easy to use and install and under $50.

The Marathon is the only one that goes above 40 pounds, but you could get one of these other seats now (the 40 pound ones should all last 2-4 years, depending on how fast he grows, usually they slow down a lot at 6 months), and then you could get another seat later, like the Cosco Apex that has tall top slots and a 65 pound weight limit (so, Marathon for 249 versus, say, the Scenera for $50 plus an Apex later for $129...you wouldn't get quite the quality of the Britax, but it would be equally safe and much cheaper).
Or splurge and get a Boulevard or Decathlon (like the Marathon, but extra features).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

hautemama15
12-22-2005, 11:29 AM
well, if it were me, i would be leary about using a used car seat too, no matter how safe it seems. a car seat that has a higher weight limit will probably cost your at least $100. You will be using it for a long time. It does make sense to spend as much as you can afford. That said, the Alpha Omega is affordable and can be used from 5-35 pounds rear facing and up to 40 pounds forward facing and also as a booster seat to 100 pounds. It may be a good affordable alternative to a Britax. I am not sure how they compare, but it is probably in your price range at $150. BUT, you could get a Marathon for $100 more and get a highly rated Britax seat that goes to 65 pounds. Then, maybe once your child is needing something like a booster, you could get a more inexpensive one. I don't know how these are rated safety wise. Maybe jools could chime in here about the Alpha Omega. I also saw the Evenflo Triumph Deluxe, which looks nice and is under $150 at BRU. It only goes to 40 pounds. The one you have may be usable and you could bypass this whole thing. I am sure someone with more knowledge than me can answer better. But, those few car seats I mentioned are the more cost effective ones that I have seen! Good luck!!

hautemama15
12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
see, i knew she would chime in!!

DebbieJ
12-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't use it. Julie summed up your options nicely.

We have a Marathon and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's so easy to install and use and so comfy for my ds!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Joolsplus2
12-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I only don't like the Alpha Omega because it's so terribly overpriced for what you get... low top slots, a bulky base that usually has to be removed anyway, 3 of the last 4 Elite models I saw had broken headrests, they aren't clear that the top slots can't be used with the harness, so lots of kids are riding around in them still harnessed at risk of the seat failing, and the top *usable* slots are remarkably low, and most kids are too tall for the seat by age 3 or younger (like 30-35 pounds), and WAY too young to use it as a booster (and as a booster it's kind of sucky... bad shoulderbelt adjusters, the belt rides too high on the abdomen, and no good side impact protection).

Not that it's a *bad* seat, just expensive for it's limited lifespan and issues that contribute to general misuse, so I don't recommend it much (the Alpha Sport is the same, basically, but stripped down, so it's more bang for your buck).

:)

hautemama15
12-22-2005, 12:44 PM
see, i knew you would have good advice on the les expensive seats. all i want is a britax so i haven't even researched other models. i knew she was looking for something less expensive so i listed them. you sure know your car seats!! thanks!!

BTW, thumbs up for the Decathalon?? We are thinking of getting it as our only car seat at least for awhile. Good choice??

Joolsplus2
12-22-2005, 12:47 PM
I really like the Decathlon :). The only issue with it is that the harness adjuster tends to be 'sticky' for the first month or two of use (like, you have to be STRONG to pull it tight)...but then it tends to break in and work super-smooth. You can even slap a Marathon cover on it if you want to (Britax prefers you use the same covers so you never get confused about which seat you are using, since the name is on the cover label, but I think it's a risk you can take if you fall in love with a nifty MA cover ;) )

murphydog77
12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here since it's an old Century seat and say that it has a 20-22 lb. rear-facing weight limit, so if your ds is too big for his SnugRide, he's also too big for this car seat. The stickers on the side of the seat (if they're still there--Century used really bad glue) will say for sure.

If you're on a budget, I second Julie's suggestion of the Scenera. Otherwise, you really will get years of use out of the bigger Britax seats.

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

jessi
12-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks so much again, this helps me through the confusion of new seats! :D

Another question, Jools, you recommended the Scenera and later the Apex (65 lb limit) if the Marathon is too much $$$--Why both? Is the Apex a seat that cannot be used rear-facing?

THANK YOU!

daniele_ut
12-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Not Julie, but yes, the Apex can only be used forward facing.

Joolsplus2
12-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Right, agreeing with Daniele... you get the Scenera now, use it rearfacing till about age 2-3, then forward facing to about age 3-4, then get the Apex to continue harnessing till age 5-6, then use as a booster till about age 10. Versus Marathon now till age 5-6, then another booster till about age 10 (Yes, kids NEED to be in seats till they are usually at least that old... it's a funny thing for us old folks to get used to ;))