PDA

View Full Version : Sit N Stroll - opinions needed (longish)

pittsburghgirl
12-22-2005, 02:11 PM
I can borrow a Sit N Stroll from good friends (so I know the condition) for our trip next week to Vermont.

My DS is 30 lbs, 35 inches. He usually uses a MA (at home) or Touriva (for travel, along with my Zooper ZStreet). We are going to Stowe where we won't be able to use the stroller while we're there, too much snow on the streets. He prefers to walk anyway.

However, in the airport I don't see how we can manage (even with both of us) not having him in a stroller part of the time; he currently has a tendency to run away or throw himself on the floor wailing if he doesn't want to hold hands. Last year we took our Touriva and Zooper, and the stroller was in the way except for the airports.

He will have his own seat on the plane (two flights) and will be in the car seat only a little bit once we are there, a couple of times per day. Everything else will be within walking distance.

So, I'm thinking that the SNS would be a good solution for this particular trip - we don't need a stroller at our destination, he won't be in and out of the car a lot. My biggest concern is the fact that the seatbelt runs over the top, and that he might be too big for it-which I obviously can determine before we leave, but the seatbelt thing might be harder to determine. We don't want a screaming toddler every time we get in the car (or on the plane!) I am confident of my ability to figure out how to install it correctly, so even though I know it's not as good a car seat as what we have, I am comfortable with it (or is that a mistake?)

Any thoughts from actual users? Any users with toddlers? I did a search and saw one post from someone who said her DS wouldn't fit but didn't specify if it was a height issue or what. My DS is long-torsoed and skinny.

I don't really want to bother my friends this close to Christmas if it probably isn't going to work for us since I know they are busy running around. HELP! TIA...

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

Joolsplus2
12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
I know it's a beast/totally impossible to install rearfacing, but I think it's ok FF...I've never heard of the seatbelt really being an issue (either too short or too annoying). The top harness slots are pretty low, maybe a little lower than the Scenera, but I think your guy should still fit.
Hopefully someone else chimes in!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

pittsburghgirl
12-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks Julie. I know you don't like it as a car seat and this is the only situation I am willing to even try it, we have been very happy using our Touriva for travel (thanks to your rec's), especially when I'm solo.

Anyone else?

Marilee
mommy to James

catfeet
12-22-2005, 06:45 PM
I'd personally buy the $10 stroller of the week at Walmart and be done with it. If you don't need it for much, why invest $100 combo seat?

My .02

Ann

pittsburghgirl
12-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh, we would only *borrow* the SNS, not buy one. I may yet run out and buy a cheapie umbrella stroller if DS doesn't fit in the SNS, and take my Touriva (I'm not willing to gate check my Volo and risk damage.)

Marilee
mommy to James

lpl47
12-23-2005, 04:20 PM
I faced a similar dilemna for our Thanksgiving trip. DS is 27 months and about the same size as your son. We have a Marathon at home and used to travel with our Evenflo Titan and put it in our Quest. Since I was 7 months pregnant and traveling alone, I didn't want to schlepp any extra gear - the stroller was something that I only needed to get through the airport.

Anyway, I too had a friend who lent me her sit n' stroll... at the last minute I went a bought a GoGoKidz attachment for the Marathon instead. I couldn't have been happier with the decision. Although, one of the main reasons I was hesitant about the sit n stroll was because both my parents and my in-laws were going to be driving my son places and while I was confident *I* could install it properly every time, I wasn't sure if *they* would be able to. If it had just been me using the seat, I might have at least tried the sit n stroll. To make a long story short, I do really like the GoGoKidz attachment and it makes traveling with the Marathon and no stroller very easy.

Good luck! Update us on what you end up doing...

jd11365
12-23-2005, 09:39 PM
I love my SnS! Kayla is exactly the same height/weight as your DS and she fits fine. I don't need a stroller at my destination either...or a carseat...my mom has both, BUT it's fantastic for the airport and plane ride. I can wheel her right on the plane and put her (still in the SnS) right in the airplane seat. This helps with any fighting to get her in the seat when on the plane...she's already in it! FYI, it takes a little shoving into the airplane seat, but it does fit. I only recommend this seat FF, it's a PITA to install RF.

I also have this http://www.rideoncarryon.com/ for next year when she outgrows the SnS. I bought it when it first came out because I thought it was so cool. I spoke to the creator, and she was awesome. I bought the "scratch and dent" but couldn't find a blemish. Of course I did buy when it first came out, and I had been in conversation with the owner, so I may have been cut a break. ;) Regardless, I can't imagine how a scratch or a dent would be a problem, so I'd buy the S&D again regardless...it's a nice savings. I can't wait to use it, but since I have the SnS, I still use that.

I'm not on this board much, if at all, so PM me if you have any other questions.
Have a great trip!

pittsburghgirl
12-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the comments. We are going to try the SNS. I easily installed it in DH's car for the ride to the airport and DS didn't complain about the strap running across his lap (my biggest concern), although he wasn't in it very long, so wish me luck :)

Since it is just us, I will be doing all of the installing/using, so I hope that goes well. We will try to limit the number of times we are in and out of the car.

I will post an update after our trip.

Marilee
mommy to James

catfeet
12-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Sorry, I was reading too quickly. I didn't catch the borrow :-P

Ann