PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice about where to put carseats. Thanks.

sallysmith
12-23-2005, 09:35 AM
If you had three children in one minivan, where would you put the carseats? The children are 3 years old, 18 months old, and a newborn. What about if you had just the older two kids? Would you put both in the second (middle) row? Or put one in the third row? Or does it not make much of a difference? Thanks.

nd93
12-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Here's what we do.

Definitely put the newborn in the middle row. Lugging the infant car seat to the back would be a pain, IMO. Also, even when you switch to a convertible but he/she is rearfacing, I think it's easier to help them get in when they are in the middle row.

My oldest is in the back row, but she's 5 1/2 and in a booster seat so she can get back there and buckled in by herself. Not sure if your 3 yr old could do that yet, but someday.

My middle child is in the other seat in the middle row. She's in a convertible still. I think when she is in a booster seat I will move her to the back with her sister and free up that captain's chair for an adult. Our 2nd row is more comfortable than our 3rd.

I say put your 3 yr old in the back since at least that one can walk into the back. Carrying a child into the back of a minivan is not easy.

When my youngest was little, I liked having the extra space in the back row for nursing, diaper changes, etc while we were out and about.

Hope this helps. FYI - we have a Honda Odyssey.

DebbieJ
12-23-2005, 09:44 AM
I would ask in the car seat forum. There are a few CPS Techs there (people with training about this stuff!) and they will answer your question.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

sallysmith
12-23-2005, 09:51 AM
That's a good point about the oldest one being able to climb into the back by himself. Another problem we have is that our second row is a bench, not captain's chairs, and the convertible seats are very wide, so they don't fit so well next to each other

sallysmith
12-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I'll cross post there. I didn't know if it was OK to post there because it's not really a question about buying carseats.

nd93
12-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I suppose the most important consideration is where the car seats install the easiest/most securely and go from there. We have latch in our 2nd row so we like having our car seats there.

What kind of van do you have? I know for Odyssey there is a forum for owners and a lot of people post what they have done. Sienna I think has a similar forum.

Joolsplus2
12-23-2005, 06:52 PM
<thumbs up>, I think that's what I'd do (I move my seats all over the place all the time, lol...but I think a baby baby will definitely be easiest in the middle row!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx