PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on Graco Platmium CarGo Booster please

mommy2robby_danny
12-26-2005, 05:51 PM
I am still searching for a car seat to replace the one in DHs truck. He has an extended cab 01 Dodge Ram with tether but no latch. My 3yo is 41" and too tall for his convertible car seat. He only goes with DH once or twice a month and I really do not have the budget for the Britax or Recaro I want right now so I am looking for a safe alternative that will fit. I am hoping to replace it once I have $ for a better seat and ds#2 will need a new seat soon too I am sure. Is this a good seat? If not, any other cheaper but safe alternatives? He is 3yo, 41" and 29#
Thanks!
Colleen

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-26-2005, 06:58 PM
That should work out well. What is his torso height? He would fit into this seat weight wise for a while but how tall is he when he is sitting on the floor from the floor to the top of his shoulders?

It is a good seat for the money but not a great bpb but i think once you get to that point the seat will be handed down so just keep that in mind...

Ilana

mommy2robby_danny
12-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Not sure of his torso height and he is sleeping now, although I am not sure I could get a good measurement with him awake! LOL He is in a Britax Husky in my car and loving it but he is in a 2002 Evenflo Triumph 5 in the truck and his shoulders are 2" over the harness slots in the back so I know he is too tall for the seat and it needs to be replaced fast so he can ride in the truck again. With Christmas just passing by I just cannot spring for a Recaro or Britax eventhough I know I should get one...is there anything else good but cheap?? Is the a good one? I feel bad not getting the best.
Oh, what is a BSB? I do not plan on keeping it too long, unless It is a good seat, the Eveflos did serve us well... but I really had my heart seat on the new Britax seats for both boys or the Recaro Young Sport. Have you seen the Graco irl?
Anyway...
Thanks for replying
Colleen

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-26-2005, 09:38 PM
A BPB is a booster basically. This seat is fine as a carseat. I think you will find it ok for use but it will be much different than your britax, not bad just different. I have seen the Graco IRL at toys r us and target. It is a fine 5 pt harness seat but the slots for the seat belt are not the best in booster mode so once your ds reaches 40 lbs i would reccomened getting another bpb. If you want to keep him in a harness past 40 lbs you could look at the cosco apex but your son is only 30 lbs so he should get at least 2 years out of this seat weight wise, height wise you never know.

What slot of his husky is he in? Would you be able to measure the height of the slot and see how tall that is?

HTH

Ilana

catfeet
12-26-2005, 09:57 PM
I've seen a mom on this site or over at the Babycenter carseat board recently saying they found somewhere selling Husky's for $169. This is much cheaper than they were before. Is this in your budget? I'm sure with a little asking around on the board, someone would be able to figure out what that site was.

HTH,
Ann

catfeet
12-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Oh, btw, I've got my 4 yo son in a Regent and a Wizard in our most used vehicles, but in DH's truck, he's in a TurboBooster. We got him to use it correctly by telling him that it was his big boy seat and special. We also told him that he had to be VERY good in order to ride in Daddy's truck and the big boy seat. Now, getting to ride in that seat is a HUGE treat. He does it so infrequently, he actually looks forward to it and stays awake for the whole ride. Would this work for your son too?

Ann

mommy2robby_danny
12-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I can squueze out that much since I only need one right now but I doubt it will fit in the back of the Dodge. I could try it out with the one I own but I was looking for a Wizard or Bolavard assuming they wouldnt fit.
thanks
Colleen

mommy2robby_danny
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, my ds just turned 3yo in Nov so isnt he too young? He is not yet 30#, he is about 28# or so I would say and doesnt gain weight fast. lol We wer so excited to see he gained this last appt, the one before he lost. ZHe has pdd and hates to eat.
Anyway...that could be an option if its safe...,is it? I just thought he was too young to go w/o 5pt harness yet, although he doesnt try to move?...
Thanks
Colleen