PDA

View Full Version : Are the Recaro Young Sports the latest & greatest?

Emmas Mom
12-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Not that I really need to look into this until DD#2 outgrows her infant seat but I'm really curious about the Recaro YS. They are fairly new yes? I was planning to get another Marathon or a Decathalon but the Recaro's seem to be getting great reviews & are about the same price (although the fabrics aren't quite as cute). Now that they've been out awhile, does anyone have any comments on them as compared to the Britaxes? Or is there a thread that already discussed this? I didn't see them listed on the Product Review link and I'm very interested in hearing more about these. Thanks. :)

ETA: this would be for DD#1 who will be at least 3 when DD#2 outgrows the infant seat. DD#2 will inherit the MA & I will need something else for DD#1.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
I think it depends on the age and weight of the child. They harness to 40 lbs versus the Britax 65 so for a older child who does not weigh alot it would be great since they could then use the seat as a booster. If the child is two and 35 lbs i would not reccomend it because they would be out of the harness fairly soon and not ready for a BPB.

I have seen them at my local baby store and they are really nice seats, very solid. It is a good option for some people who want a good combo booster and a good booster seat later on.

JMHO

Ilana

Emmas Mom
12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
DD is on the light side...about 27-28 lbs & about 36 inches tall. Definitely tall (DH is about 6'4" so it looks like she got some of his height since I'm PUSHING 5'5"). I don't think she'll be hitting 40lbs anytime in the near future so that's why I was considering the Recaro. I like that it converts to a booster later on too, it'd be nice not to have to buy one. I'll have to see where they have them locally to check them out in person. Thanks for the input! :)

SusanMae
12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Also they can not rear face. So if your DD outgrows her infant seat at 9 months, she can't go to the young sport. I think I would consider a young sport for a 4 year old who weighs 35 pounds to use as a harnessed seat until 40 pounds and then as a belt positioning booster.

For your DD, I would say that you still need to be looking for seats that RF. Although--how old is your DD#1 and how much does she weight? Is she already forward facing? You could move DD#1 to the Young Sport and then DD#2 into big sis' seat. Again if big sis is 2 and 30 some pounds...she's probably going to hit 40 pounds long before she is mature enough for a BPB.

Susan

SusanMae
12-27-2005, 11:38 AM
I guess we posted about the same time. DD #1 can still be rear facing in her Marathon. The marathon will allow her to RF until she reaches 33 pounds or the tops of her ears are even with the top of the seat. www.cpsafety.com for more info on rear facing past 1 year and 20 pounds.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with a YS since DD#1 can still benefit from RF and won't be needing the booster for some time.

Susan