PDA

View Full Version : new graco

megs4413
12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Is there any real advantage to the new graco safe sport? I am trying to decide if we will go for that for the next one, but I am not sure if it's really an advantage to use a pumpkin seat for a baby over 22 pounds. DD left her snugride because of the height limit, but she was still pretty heavy to cart around in the pumpkin seat at that time. She was only like 4 mos old so I was pretty annoyed at having to move to another seat so quickly, so in that sense I might like the new graco, but I can't imagine toting a twenty pound baby around in it much less a thirty pound baby. What are the advantages/disadvantages as everyone else sees them?

bensmom
12-28-2005, 09:04 AM
I have not used the new Graco Safe Seat, but, except in limited situations, I probably would not get one (and, when my second comes along in March, I plan to use my Snugride that has a 20 pound limit).

I agree, I could barely carry my first when he was nearing 20 pounds. There is no way I would want to carry a heavier child. I was ready to move up to a convertible seat. I'm also not positive, but I don't believe that you can adjust the recline angle significantly on the seat (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong). By the time most kids outgrow a standard infant seat, they are comfortable sitting a little more upright.

BUT, my first was a January baby. When he outgrew the infant seat, it was nice weather. If I had a baby in August (I'm in a cold climate), I might prefer the infant seat with a higher weight limit because I think that infant seats are invaluable in the winter in cold climates. The extra few pounds might get me through the winter (being able to buckle the child in indoors, having a warm seat).

It also looks like a great option for people who travel a lot or don't have a car but use cabs.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

mommy2maya
12-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Not sure if there is a stipulation on this seat or not, but I know with the Cosco Opus 35 it said not to use it to carry the baby in after so many pounds.

That said, I think it's a good option for a rear facing seat, since you won't have to switch seats so quickly. I was never one for really toting baby around in the infant seat past the first few weeks when they are really sleepy & fairly floppy.

daniele_ut
12-28-2005, 12:49 PM
While I think that a 30lb child will definitely be too heavy to tote around in this seat, I see several advantages to it.

We really liked that we could easily leave our SnugRide with a sitter if necessary. Logan is only 20lbs now, so with a SafeSeat, we'd still only need one carseat for our 2 cars. He's walking now, so I could see leaving it in the car nearly all the time, but the convenience of popping it in the other car when necessary would be really nice.

Logan has always been at the bottom of the charts and even he really didn't enjoy the close quarters of the SnugRide. I looked at the SafeSeat yesterday and it is quite a bit more roomy and better padded than our SnugRide, so I am considering selling ours and re-evaluating infant seat options when were expecting baby #3.

I also really liked the built in locking clip on the base as well. I hated the tipping problem on our SnugRide and hated using a metal locking clip even more.