PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect booster usage. How bad is this? Should I say something?

Elizasmom
12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
My SIL is sooo bad about not properly restraining her kids. I have helped her properly install seats before and offered gentle "suggestions". Today, I was please to see that her almost four-year-old was in a booster (I know, should be in a 5-point, but better than free floating in the car). I didn't recognize the booster, but it appeared to be similar to the Turbobooster in its design.

Here's my question - the lap portion of the belt was under the armrests and on his lap as it should be, but the shoulder belt portion was over the armrest. It was still across his chest and over his shoulder properly, but it went over rather than under the armrests before being buckled in. Is this really bad? I was surprised at how well it seemed to fit him despite this error, so I didn't say anything (yet!).

Joolsplus2
12-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I would say something...the buckle side of the shoulderbelt really should be under the armrest. Just play innocent "oh, is that how it goes? I thought it would work more like the captain's chairs on my minivan....is there a picture?".. then she won't think it's an attack on her parenting skills (people get so riled up about seats, don't they? sigh...)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx