PDA

View Full Version : How to choose which seat to put in which vehicle?

strollinmama
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
We have 2 vehicles.

VEH#1
I use around town only (only rarely though, because I do most of my running when my dh is home to help with the kids), and when we take long trips (2+hrs)

VEH#2
My dh takes this to work and then I use it to run around in the evening in, or when we all go shopping, etc. (most everything worth going to is at least 45minutes away)

I prefer not to buy 2 car seats that cost $400 each, so I plan on buying a not so expensive, car seat for my 2nd vehicle.

So, which vehicle should I put the good seats in?

(I don't have a problem moving seats for our out of town trips, and I do have a built in car seat in VEH#2 that we rarely use)

SusanMae
12-29-2005, 02:07 PM
What are your different vehicles and are they LATCH equipped, do they just have tether anchors?

What are the age, height and weight of your children? That info will help determine what kinds of seats are needed in your family.

Susan

strollinmama
12-29-2005, 03:04 PM
I have a 95 Suburban (VEH#1) and a 2000 Grand Voyager (VEH#2)
Neither have latch, only tether

3 year old, 34.5lbs
1.5 year old, 25lbs

My 3 year old is very short in stature (about that of a just turned 2year old)
My 1.5 year old is average size, he is almost as big as his sister, and a chunk.

We currently have a Boulevard and a Marathon (MA is being sold, and I just ordered a SG to replace it, because dd can loosen the straps)

I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars in car seats for our second vehicle.

SusanMae
12-29-2005, 03:34 PM
What about a Scenera for the younger and an Apex for the older. The Scenera will run you about $40 at Wal-mart(make sure to get the 5 pt version) and the Apex I think is about $129. The Scenera will keep your son RF until 35 lbs.

I'd say the Apex assuming you have high seat backs or adjustable head rests. By the time your son outgrows the Scenera maybe your daughter will be able to go into a booster in the lesser used vehicle.

OR...I just thought of an even BETTER plan!!!

Keep the Marathon to put your son in-in the other car and then you just need to buy an Apex for your DD.

Did I help or confuse you more?

Susan

strollinmama
12-29-2005, 04:09 PM
How do the Apex's rate?

We have a Triumph that we bought when ds was born to use in my mom's car, we have only used it a few times, and I had actually forgotten about it. I was thinking about that for ds, although it only works rf until 30lbs

SusanMae
12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh Julie---

Julie or someone here has pics of the Apex in use. I think overall people have been pleased. Just be aware that the top of the childs ears can't be above the top of the vehicle seat--like with a no back booster.

I really need to start bookmarking all the different car seat picture pages I look at.

ETA: I found a link on another forum that has pics. You can see it in a van's captains chair.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=4256&highlight=apex

Susan