PDA

View Full Version : Regent or Parkway? I know what you are going to say...

boys2enough
12-31-2005, 04:30 AM
I am sure you are going to suggest BOTH! LOL. DH will have a cow though b/c of the prices...

DS2 I believe has outgrown his RA because his shoulders are a little bit higher than the top slots already. After reading all the posts here on BPB v.s Harnessed seats, I don't think he's well-behaved enough in the car to be in a BPB. I can just imagine some sort of "stunt" on the highway when there is no way for me to stop the car safely.

I like the idea of Regent, feels like a harnessed seat that sits low like a booster. How heavy is it? How heavy and big is it compared to RA? Anybody knows?

My only concern is that we do travel a lot by air and it's already such a pain to log the RA around. Should I also get a Parkway for when we travel?

If you are all going to be mean to my credit card and suggest to go ahead and buy both, any recommendations for stores/deals/sales?

Thank you all very much in advance.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

Momof3Labs
12-31-2005, 09:05 AM
Lin, we just bought DS the Regent to replace the RA that he outgrew in my mom's car. It's definitely bigger and heavier than the RA, but not shockingly so. You cannot use it on an airplane, though, so we won't travel with it (I refuse to check a car seat after too many bad experiences with the airlines).

Or you could go with a Marathon, which works for travel, but won't keep him harnessed as long as the Regent. Check out the Cosco Apex, too (I *think* that it is approved for airline use but don't quote me on that); I found one at our BRU for $129.

How much does G weigh? Would it make sense to buy one of the combo seats that harnesses to 40lbs for travel, and keep the Regent for in the car? Perhaps you can sell off the outgrown RA to offset the price of two seats!

boys2enough
01-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Lori,

Thank you again for answering my questions! :)

If you don't mind, could you please tell me what other carseats you looked at before you decided on Regent? I saw the new one Recaro (?) Young Sport and it's just as expensive. I am just curious about whether you looked into that one? In addition, I read in some other posts that Regent is basically a Husky. Are they basically the same? Any advantage of getting a Regent over Husky? (Other than the cool black Onyx fabric of course! lol -- DH is in love with that fabric and said that he's willing to pay more for something that will match his car. I told him that he sounds just like people on the BBB!) I may go with a Huksy b/c of the sale price now if there are not too many differences. Thanks again!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

SusanMae
01-01-2006, 09:32 PM
www.babylove.com still has the Husky, *I think.* They were on sale for $169 plus shipping I think. It won't be the cool colors but it is a bit cheaper to save the pennies....and that's a lot of pennies.

Susan

Momof3Labs
01-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Since DS is already 37lbs, we only looked at seats that harnessed past 40lbs, which rules out most options. We already have the Marathon, and wanted something with a little more room to grow height-wise, which ruled out pretty much everything but the Regent. As far as I can tell, the Recaro only harnesses to 40lbs. There's one other seat (the Radian) that is new and harnesses to 65lbs, but it isn't much cheaper than a Regent and I wanted to stick with something "proven" - we've always had Britax seats and have been happy with them.

The Husky and Regent are basically the same (Husky is discontinued and has been renamed the Regent); we went with a Regent because I liked the covers better, lol.

boys2enough
01-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Thank you Susan and Lori!

So Britax discontinued "Husky" simply to dress them in new fabrics? Interesting. I guess people may be willing to pay more for the right fabric. LOL. DH is frowning at any "non-black" fabrics right now b/c he just got a new car. He is the one doing daily pickup and drop off duty so I guess he has the say on what carseats we get (in terms of looks). ;-)

It's good to know that Huskeys are basically Regent at much lower price. They also now have RA for $139. I only wish that they do not charge shipping. He he he. I have this "moral" principle against paying shipping for online orders. ;-P

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

calv
01-03-2006, 08:21 AM
so if any, what is the difference bettween the husky and regent?

Joolsplus2
01-03-2006, 09:13 AM
The only differences between the Husky and Regent are the top tether placement (higher on the Regent) and the angle of the recline bar (aims more up on the Regent)... those are *very* nominal differences...same seat shell, same belt path options, same harness and crotch strap positions... Too many people just refused to put their kid in anything called the "Husky" because of bad clothing memories, I guess, lol.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

calv
01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
thanks for the info...And I'm sorry if I'm driving you nuts. So is it worth going for the husky or regent? I just don't know enough to make a decision, LOL. It seems like the cheapest place is probably $200 w/shipping for the husky or is there better out there? Any anyone thinking that the regents will go on sale or no because they're too new?

boys2enough
01-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi, I think Britax "patrols" their prices very seriously, that's why the prices are all roughly the same everywhere you see. The Regent is also a fairly new model. (Thanks to Lori for this info!)

I am hoping some stores will have $20 off coupon for the entire purchase etc type of promotion. However, most of the time this type of promotion excludes Britax and some of the other brands (Peg Perego, etc).

I spoke with DH again and he said that he is willing to pay up to $50 more for a BLACK carseat since the carseat will be staying with us for a long long time. (vanity, thy name is MAN?!) Babyage and Babyuniverse are out of the Regent in Onyx (the one DH wants) now. Otherwise you can get some % back if you purchase through eBates.com (or Fatwallet.com may also simliar deals).

ETA: Duh. You must have read Lori's post in response to your posted question. Didn't mean to repeat information that you already know...

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02