PDA

View Full Version : Need to Replace 2 car seats due to Accident!

alohakim
01-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi-

Our former au pair totaled our Honda Civic 2 months ago. Fortunately my children were not in the car, but my 2 (extra) car seats were. My insurance will pay to replace the seats, but I just haven't been all that eager to replace them yet since we aren't replacing the car anytime soon. However, after speaking with the insurance case manager the other day, I need to replace the seats soon, just because.

So, I need help selecting seats for 2 of my children. My 4-year-old son is about 34 lbs. and 40" tall. My 2-year-old daughter is about 26 lbs. and 33" tall.

I was not happy with one of the seats I had before, it was the Evenflo Chase. I did not like that it had the adjuster up on the straps instead of down below where the five-point harness hooked into place (does that make sense?). I also didn't like the chest clip which was always hard for me to put together and undo. I used this one for my son.

The other seat I had was the Graco Comfort Sport, which actually sat in a box, brand new for months! No lie, I had just installed it in the Honda 6 days prior to the accident--ugh!! So my daughter only rode in this seat maybe twice!

While I would LOVE to "replace" the seats with Britax (all 3 of my kids are in Britax seats in my SUV--1 Husky and 2 MA), I just can't do that. Like I said we don't even have a car for these new seats to ride in yet, but will definitely need them IF we buy a new car for an au pair or nanny.

So what do you suggest?

TIA, Kim (mom to Katie 7.5, Jack 4, and Kenlie 2)

SusanMae
01-01-2006, 09:43 PM
For the 2 year old--the Cosco Scenera, she will be able to rear face until 35 pounds and then forward face to 40 pounds. This seat costs about $40 at wal-mart. Just make sure to get the 5 point harness.

For your 4 year old--how about the Safety 1st Apex. It can be used as a FF harnessed seat until 65 pounds and then as as BPB. The only problem is that the tops of his ears can not be taller then the vehicle's seat back. This seat is at toys r us and babies r us. Little sister can move into the seat when she needs to and he could probably go into something like a turbo booster by then.

Susan

o_mom
01-02-2006, 07:57 AM
If insurance is paying, why not Britax? Just curious.

KrisM
01-02-2006, 01:11 PM
My guess would be that she can replace them with something similiar to what she had, cost wise, and would have to pay the difference herself. You can't ask the insurance co. to replace a $100 seat with a $250 seat!

o_mom
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Actually, I know someone who did - her car was totalled with an $80 SnugRide in it and she bought a Roundabout Advantage to replace it. The insurance didn't even blink, she just had to send in the receipt for the new one.

KrisM
01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I suppose some will. I wouldn't do it for moral reasons anyway. I am surprised the insurance company would do it. Think I can upgrade my engagment ring if I "lose" it? :)

o_mom
01-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I suppose for an accident where the car was totaled, $80 vs $200 for a carseat isn't much difference, not to mention, the insurance adjuster probably had no clue what kind of seat was in the car or what it cost, etc. I think they also said something about since it was something that needed immediate replacement, that she should just buy something and they would reimburse.

alohakim
01-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi Ladies-

When I had MY accident 5/2004, I actually did replace my seats with all new Britax for the kids. But since this is a backup car situation, I don't want to do that. Also, more than likely we'll get a small car like another Civic, and wouldn't be able to fit 2-3 Britax seats in the back.

Any other ideas about what to buy?

TIA, Kim

o_mom
01-03-2006, 08:53 AM
What is your spending limit? Also, what is the age, weight and height of the third child?

For the really budget buy, the Scenara that the PP suggested is a good choice. Avoid the ComfortSport, your 2 yo will not get much use out of it, if she fits in it at all.

If space is really tight, the Graco Cargo (one with a front adjuster) is very narrow and has a tall harness, so that would be a good choice for forward facing kids. It runs about $100 at Target, but they have sales sometimes for $84. It only goest to 40 lbs, but your DS seems to have at least another year before that happens (you can use it as a booster, but there are better choices).