PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Ok messed up -- got the Cosco Scenara with the overhead bar HELP

hillview
01-02-2006, 02:08 PM
DH and I go to Aruba tomorrow and he went to Target and got the WRONG Cosco Scenara -- it is a 4 point harness with the overhead bar which from the history search sounds like the BAD one but I don't know why. DH says they didn't have the other one (poor guy). So I could:
- go BACK to Target and try to find a plan B carseat
- not take a car seat (we are taking a cab to the hotel and back -- total of 6 miles) and may also have a tour of the island
- use this one

So how BAD is it? What should I do??
thanks!
/hillary

kellyotn
01-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Do you have walmarts and kmarts nearby? They both carry Scenaras also. A Touriva or Regal Ride would be the same thing, the Scenara is newest and a bit "nicer", but the others would be fine too.

Can you use your current car seat?

hillview
01-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I am calling another Target ... I read how bad the one I have is ... I have a Britax BV but had a tech install it and hate to take it out but good point that is a last resort option. Looks like the one I have is dangerous so back it goes ... sigh ... thanks!!
/hillary

kellyotn
01-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Well, I'm not a tech, but a good one should TEACH you to install it. ;) There will be a time when you need to, so its best to know how to confidently do it. (Spilled milk, diaper blow outs, car repair, travel...)

A BV is supposed to be pretty easy to install. It'll be rather large to lug around, so if you can still get a Scenara, I personally would. Lots and lots of people have traveled with the big Britaxes though!

Check out walmart and kmarts too.

Good luck.

The Review Mommy
01-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I totally agree with PP. I just finished the tech course and a "Red Flag" went up in my mind as I read your post. Did you have a Police Officer install it? We have "redone" many of those in my area....Marathon was installed rearfacing with noodle, LATCH installed on outboard seat etc. etc. They tend to get you in and out, taking advantage of that famous parent phrase "will you *install* my seat" and doing little else. But those of us who have taken the course know that we aren't there to "install" your seat for you, we are here to "educate" you fully on the proper use and installation of your car seat. In fact, in our area we schedule one hour appointments- I bet your officer didn't spend that amount of time with you! I'm not saying that they are all this way but in my area we are having problems. They actually teach you in class to never "install" a seat for someone but to rather "educate" parents on the proper use of their seats and to install their own seats after you have installed it yourself. So never say to a tech "Will you "install* my seat for me?"

I would recommend getting your seat checked again, and this time getting educated! :) And *with* DH. IMO every DH should be there too! :)

Thanks for posting here-you came to the right place! :)

Safe Trip!

Rebekah
CPS Tech

hillview
01-02-2006, 05:24 PM
ok so I got the "right" cosco seat -- hurray. wrt the bv install, my dad took it in for me (i was traveling) you all make a great point & i will make another appt w/ dh to see how it is done when i get back. it was a tech (not a police officer).

thanks all!
/hillary