PDA

View Full Version : moldy snugride straps?

babysophia
01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
After my daughter outgrew her snugride, I put the carseat in the garage. Well, taking it out today, I realized that the straps were not clean when i put it away, and they had grown mold on them. Needless to say, it is gross. But I want to be able to use this seat for a future baby. My husband tried to pull the strap out where it was anchoroed on the bottom, but only succeeded in making the plastic around it white (you know, like when plastic is bent and it changes color). Are these straps replacable? and how? or do I have to just toss the seat and get a new one? Thanks for you help!

momtoB
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Well if the seat is older than 5yrs then you should just buy a new one. There are newer ones that are better (i.e. Chicco Keyfit and Graco Safe Seat) if you're looking - I have read good things about them. There are always new innovations in safety. You should also make sure that the seat you have hasn't had a recall on it, etc. The straps are easily replaced though. Just contact Graco on their website. They will probably only set you back about $5 or so. hth and congrats on the pending arrival!

SusanMae
01-02-2006, 10:26 PM
>My husband tried to
>pull the strap out where it was anchoroed on the bottom, but
>only succeeded in making the plastic around it white (you
>know, like when plastic is bent and it changes color).

Since he bent the plastic and it changed color--the safety of the seat could be compromised. Plus being in the garage the seat was exposed to extreme hot and cold and possibly humidity depending on where you live. All these things take a toll on the seat.

I'm thinking that you might need to replace the seat, but before you make your decision see what the techs like Darin and Julie think.

Susan

babysophia
01-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Oh no! Not pregnant yet :) just planning for the future.....