PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Car Seat dilemma

eiuasa
01-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm starting to think about convertible car seats for my little guy and I'm totally confused. I think I've decided on a Britax...the question is Roundabout or Marathon? Price isn't my primary concern since there's only a $50 difference between the two. I realize the Marathon goes up to 65 lbs as opposed to the 40 lbs with the Roundabout and the Marathon has a higher height limit as well. But what I'm wondering is once he outgrows the Roundabout can't he just move on to a booster seat at that point? Does he really need to be in a convertible until he's 65 lbs? My other concern is the size of the Marathon. The Marathon just looks so huge I can't imagine it fitting in my 2000 Altima (I searched the compatability database and only found info about the Roundabout). I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. Did your child outgrow the Roundabout before he/she was ready for a booster? Is this common? I really don't want to end up buying 2 convertible seats and then a booster as well, but I also don't want to buy more seat than I need. Help! I'm driving myself (and DH) crazy about this! :)

Momof3Labs
01-03-2006, 11:35 AM
My DS outgrew his Roundabout by his third birthday, and probably needs to be harnessed for another 2-3 years (it is so much safer). He is 37lbs (which is fairly average for weight) and 42" tall (which is 100th percentile). Our Marathons will likely last us until it is time to move to a booster.

o_mom
01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
If he is on the small side, he might make 4 years in the RA, but more likely somewhere between 3 and 4 he will outgrow it on height or weight. Then you can move to a combo seat or a larger convertible. So, yes you might end up with two convertibles.

OTOH, what are your plans for future kids? In three years will you have another DC to pass the RA to? We bought a RA for DS1, since rear-facing a MA would have been hard in our car (Subaru Outback). Now that DS2 is in a convertible we got a Decathalon and bumped everyone up. So, we will get 5-6 years out of the Roundabout, even if DS1 outgrows it (he is only 2 now and still fits). When DC3 makes an appearance (not even trying yet, so no one get excited) and needs a convertible, we will have to get yet another seat - but by that time there will be new seats/options and who knows what we will end up with.

If your plan is an only child or more than 3 years between, I would get the Marathon then you know you won't have to buy anything until a booster, but if there are more kids in the plan, a Roundabout might be worth considering.

kijip
01-03-2006, 04:36 PM
The Roundabout will last you anywhere from 2-4 years. I rarely see 4 year olds that fit it. And I rarely see 4 year olds that are really ready for a booster. I think you should go for the larger seat now to save you the hassle of buying a second seat between RA and booster. FWIW, my son is less than 3 and he does not fit in a RA anymore.

eiuasa
01-03-2006, 07:49 PM
We're planning to start trying for DC2 when DS1 is about 1. So I guess we could get the RA now with the assumption that #2 would use it when #1 outgrows it. I never thought of that angle. Thanks!

eiuasa
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Any CPS techs out there know if a Marathon will even fit in a 2000 Nissan Altima? I'll obviously try both the RA and MA at the store first, but I'm curious. The MA just looks so huge...my snugride is a tight fit in my car right now!

SusanMae
01-03-2006, 08:29 PM
The Marathon rear facing will probably be a better fit than the snugride. The Marathon is tall top to bottom, where as the SR is long front to back.

Since your son will be older probably 6 months+ before he goes into the Marathon, he won't need the 45 degree recline that he needs as a newborn and in the infant only seat. Have you checked the compatibility at www.carseatdata.com or is it org?

Susan