PDA

View Full Version : Installing Scenera in Expedition

tjham
01-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I just installed a Scenera RF in my Expedition. It took awhile. Next time will go quicker I'm sure. I tried with a noodle for a better recline but it wobbled too much so I took it out. My grandson is 7 months so I guess I don't need a big recline. The picture in the book shows it just kind of floating in the air to level. Odd.

My main problem was side to side wiggle. I discovered that on one side (the side with the buckle), the Latch belt was outside the front "stand" (it's easier to tighten outside) and on the other side the belt was inside the stand. That seemed to cause the wiggle. I loosened up the Latch belt and put the belt on the outside of the stand and retightened the Latch. That make it nice and tight so I assumed that is the way it is supposed to be. Then I got out the book again and checked. NO..according to the pictures, the belt is INSIDE the sides of the stand. (sigh) So I tried it that way and I can not get it as tight! It's OK, just not as tight as it was when the belt was OUTSIDE the stand. They don't even mention it in the instructions.

So...Is it bad to have it on the outside? It's really much tighter and less wiggly.

momtoB
01-03-2006, 06:37 PM
I can't really answer your question but maybe a car seat tech can. I would default to following the owners manual just to be on the safe side though.

Did you try using the seatbelt instead? It's just as safe to install it that way, as long as it's done right.

tjham
01-03-2006, 10:52 PM
It's a 2005 Expedition so it has the lap, shoulder belt combination in the middle and I have a hard time with those (sigh).

KrisM
01-04-2006, 12:55 PM
First, are you sure you can install using LATCH in the center? I have no experience with the Expedition, but I know the Explorer only has LATCH outboard.

Hopefully, a tech will answer about the position of the belts.

tjham
01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Oh, yes, I have 3 separate Latch positions. with the little pictures on the seat and everything.

Joolsplus2
01-04-2006, 05:38 PM
I used to have the same problem with the Touriva! I swear those 'horns' on the base are such a nightmare, aren't they? I thought they'd be better on the Scenera :P. I actually *would* try it with the lap/shoulderbelt, even though it's a pain, it might actually work much better.
But I think you're the guinea pig... call Cosco for us and find out if they stand by their manual or if they'll let that LATCH belt go any old way (I think I just did it 'wrong' on the Touriva, but then usually used the seatbelt as it was a MUCH better install..no tipping or anything, amazingly)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tjham
01-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Horns! HA! Good description! I'll email them when I have more energy (sigh).

tjham
01-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Well, never did email them about the horns. But I decided that since my grandson is 8 months, I did not need the amount of recline needed for a little infant. I put the front stand (with the dreaded horns) down toward the crack between the seat back and seat and used the latch *under* the horns. It tightened really well, so I am happy now!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
01-22-2006, 03:56 AM
okay, what I do, if it's possible in the expedition, is recline the seat... tighten the latch as much as possible so that you can JUST clip it onto the latch... get the seat positioned right and hook it up... snap your vehicle seat back up... and it will be rock solid.

the latch is really hard to tighten in the scenera... mainly cause of where the clip that holds the adjuster strap lies... also, you have to push that button AND pull the strap to tighten it.

I have never wished for anything evenflo as much as I wish for their latch when I'm doing that... asking for britax latch would be asking too much.

I definitely get a better install with seatbelts... which, in the third row of our caravan requires buckle twisting and a noodle.

Kat

tjham
01-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Oh, I didn't think about pushing the button and pulling at the same time. I'll have to try that!

I can't recline the seat as it is in the center and doesn't recline. I wish it did. It would also make it better for when I have the Chase there for my granddaughter. Her head slumps when she falls asleep.

Attaching the latch is hard for me as I have weak fingers (sigh). But I still like the latch better than the seat belt since it is a shoulder combination belt and the seat leans with it.