PDA

View Full Version : Where to put DCs in car?

chays
01-04-2006, 02:37 PM
We have a 2004 VOlvo XC70 (the station wagon). I have a 2.5 yr old 32 lb DS in a FF MA and a baby girl due in Feb. DS is currently in the center of the backseat installed with the seat belt (whoever told these car manufacurers that they don't need latch anchors for the center seat position was crazy).

Anyway, for convenience, safety, etc. we have been debating on how to arrange the seats once we have 2 kiddos in the back. I thought I'd try one in the center (since I have heard it is the safest spot in the car) and one outboard -- I just don't know where to put which DC! The other reason I'd like to try the seats side by side is so that I can accomodate a 2nd passanger in the car.

Thoughts? Seems like my options are:
1) DS stays in center and put DD in her snugride either behind driver or passenger's seat.
2) Move DS to outboard seat either behind driver or passenger and put DD in her snugride in the center.
3) Put them both outboard and only be able to take 1 passenger in the car. With side impact airbags, maybe its not such a big deal.

Lastly, if I put only one outboard, can those of you with experience tell me if driver's side is more convenient than passengers or visa-versa?

Thanks for the help!

momtoB
01-04-2006, 03:28 PM
If you put only one outboard, generally having that one be on the passenger side is better if you need to parallel park. Statistically I think they are both about the same "risk" factor for side impact.

Rear-facing is the safest: a rear-facing seat will rotate *away* from the door in a side-impact, and baby's head is protected by the car seat shell so it is technically better to have the rear-facing child in the outboard position if center isn't an option, although with side airbags I don't know that there's a big risk for your f/fing child either.

hth.

seeks1
01-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi, I also have a 2004 XC70. I am expecting my first so I can't be much help but was hoping you could help me! Any of these questions you could answer would be awesome!

Have you had any issues fitting any carseats in the middle? What infant carrier did you use? Was your install pretty secure even though there is somewhat of a bump there?

I was looking at getting Boulevard long term which I think is about the same size as the Marathon. Have you tried the Marathon on the outboard? Does it force the front seat to have to be farther forward?

Overall, have you had any issues with the carseats in the back and ease of use? Do you think you get a good install?

Thanks!!!!!!

chays
01-04-2006, 04:31 PM
We never tried the seat in an outboard position. I don't think my XC70 has a bump in the middle (we have the 70/30 split seat option), but my MA fits fine in there. It was fine rear facing as well. Nice and tight, but we also have a rubber mat under it to hold it securely on the leather seats. There is no LATCH for the center seat, so you will have to use the seat belt to secure the seat. The 2 LATCH spots are on the outboard seats. The tech corrected my LATCH install in the center and pointed out that the anchors I was using (one from each outboard spot) were spread farther apart than LATCH was designed for. Bad mommy!

I will say that getting the Graco snugride infant seat in and out was a bit of a pain since my 2003 version requires the handle to be down for travel. We had to put it down and then lift the seat into the car. There wasn't enough room to put the seat in and then lower the handle. I think the rearfacing MA would fit fine outboard, worst case scenario the angle may be a little less than 45 degrees depending on your height. Tethering it rearfacing was easy with the built-in "loops" under the front seats.

Long story short, both car seats had a great install and are nice and tight. I usually seatbelt my MA in and then use the LATCH connectors as a backup support since my mother-in-law always seems to unbuckle the car seat (and never seems to notice) when she rides in the back with DS. I figure better safe than sorry!

Good luck!

skipspin
01-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm not a tech, but I might have a few suggestions.

First, usually the techs say that if convienence is equal, put the RFing child outboard. The most protected child in the lest protected place.

My DD is currently RFing (not for long- she's 2.5 and 30 lb) outboard passenger side. I don't like her big WZ RFing in the middle because I can't seem to see anything. Her infant seat was in the middle.

If she can still be RF when I have the next one, I will leave her there and put the infant seat in the middle. If she is FF, I will put her in the middle and the infant seat outboard passenger side. I find that I can't reach/see the seat behind me, even if I am stopped, but I can reach/see the middle and passenger side if I am stopped at at light.

Also, IMO, most FF seats with lockoffs (Britax) are just as easy to install with the seatbelt as with LATCH. I have latch in all three bachseat positions, but use the seatbelt IF I install FF. However it takes a lot longer for me to get a good install RFing with the seatbelt, so I use LATCH. (I have to install with the seatbelt in out wrangler- no latch) Infant seats without lockoffs tend to work better with LATCH because sometimes the shoulderbelt makes them tip a little. That might be a consideration in where you install the infant seat.

I hope that helps a little bit!

seeks1
01-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info. We have the 70/30 split seat also. I guess instead of saying it has a bump, I should say the outboard seats are more buckets.

I appreciate the info!

chays
01-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll plan to put the baby in her sugride on the outboard passanger side using the LATCH installation and leave DS in his FF MA in the center (at least until he decides poking the baby is way too fun - LOL).

Lastly, anyone have experience with 3 big Britaxes in the back seat of a Volvo station wagon? I have a friend who want to carpool to preschool, but I just don't see 3 big seats fitting back there!

Thanks again!

uccomama
01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I have an older version of the V70, but I think the back seat is pretty much the same.

Take a look:

http://members.tripod.com/uccomama-ivil/id6.html

Deborah