PDA

View Full Version : Booster seat help

Robyn
01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
I am expecting #2 in February, and am trying to plan ahead for the next car seat/booster for #1, who is currently in a Marathon. DS#1 will be just over 3 yrs old when I expect to move him out of the Marathon to make room for #2. DS#1 has always been big (95% for both height and weight). We haven't had a height check since his 2 yr old visit, but he was 37" then, and should be between 35-37 lbs. presently. What car seat/booster suggestions do you have for him? TIA and Happy New Year!

mom2acrew
01-05-2006, 05:07 AM
Hi Robyn, I would suggest another Marathon,or the Britax Regent generally the minimum recommendation for a child to ride in a belt positioning booster is age 4, but really it is best if kids are harnessed as long as possible. It is likely he would be able to use a Marathon to age 5 or beyond. Currently there are several seats that allow you to use the harness beyond 40# but honestly I haven't seen the new seats in person so it is hard to recommend one over another. My daughter used a Marathon until 5.5 and my 3.5 yr old uses one currently. She now rides in a Britax Husky (now called a Regent) and that allows her to use the harness until 80#.

Each step in child restraints is a demotion in safety ie: rear facing is safest, once a child out grows their rfing seat (which is 2-3 yrs old and 33# usually in a Marathon) harnessed is best, then on to a booster until the child is approx. 4'9'' or can pass a 5 step test (you are a long ways from there)

Hope that helps a bit and maybe someone will chime in w/ other higher harnessed weight seat recommendations.

Jodi CPST

Joolsplus2
01-05-2006, 08:26 AM
I would just buy another Marathon for the next baby (or Boulevard or Decathlon), unless the Regent really appeals to you or something better comes along (There are "fisher price" Marathons coming out that are cheaper, or the Cosco Apex, or the www.safeguardseat.com or the Radian at www.skjp.com). Really, the MA is so comfy for even older kids up to age 5-6, I wouldn't boot your first baby out of it just for your second one to get it (there's a modified shoulder foam for big kids you can order, if he's looking a little cramped, it gives a couple extra inches of space).
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx