PDA

View Full Version : Got my RA checked today and I owe you all a big thanks!

dmg222
01-05-2006, 08:49 PM
I just wanted to thank all of you for making me feel so empowered! I went to the police station today to have our RA installation checked. DD is 15 months and still rear facing (again another thank you to all for that one!) The officer starts off by reading the instructions on the side of the seat - the one that says something to the effect of babies need to be 20 pounds or less to rear face. She then tells me we will probably have to turn her forward facing since DD is prob. over 20 pounds. I tell her that's not the interpretation I get and that the 2nd point says rear facing until 33 pounds. If it wasn't for this board I would have never a) questioned an officer about the instructions on the car seat (I guess it helped that she wasn't in uniform :) ) and b) known how important rear facing is! Sometimes I feel that I waste too much time on this board but as I was driving back home today I realized how much important information you guys are teaching me so a big big thank you to all who share your knowledge with me.
Just to clarify about this officer - she did know what she was doing and after she checked the seat install she did say how rear facing is much better. She was just doing her job by reading the instructions (she just didn't read them fully!)
-Daniella

SusanMae
01-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Did she check the instruction booklet or just the directions on the seat? I imagine the rule about when a child is too big..other than the weight limit is in the book rather than on the seat?

Just curisious

Susan

dmg222
01-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi,
I know for sure she looked at the instructions on the side of the seat but I can't remember if she looked at the instruction manual. I guess each tech has their own method. I remember when I got the seat checked in San Diego the tech just looked at the instruction manual. The side instructions do say rear facing until 33 pounds - she just didn't read that far in the insructions.
-Daniella

Joolsplus2
01-06-2006, 04:13 PM
*High Five*! I seriously can't imagine why she didn't know that EVERY convertible seat has been ok to rearface in to 30 pounds for the last 6 years (except the century ste 1500...ever even SEEN one? I didn't think so), but I'm glad you were on the ball enough to keep her straight.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx