PDA

View Full Version : Rear-facing Dilemma

Karenn
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
DD (15 months, just over 20 pounds) is in an Evenflo Triumph. Right now she's rear-facing. I've finally realized that one of the things that I don't like about the seat is that when it is rear facing, the straps are constantly slipping off of DD's shoulders. I had the same problem with DS. Once he was forward facing, the problem was resolved.

So which is safer? Rear-facing, with questionable straps, or forward facing at 15 months, with good straps? (Incidentally, I know some Triumphs were recalled because of strap issues at one point, but mine wasn't one of them.)

TIA,

SusanMae
01-05-2006, 11:24 PM
how far below her shoulders are the straps? It may be time to move them up.

Also you maybe able to get away with moving them up to the next slot(ask a tech to be sure) because she can't "ramp up" with the straps over her hips.

Susan

Karenn
01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure how far below her shoulders the straps are, but I know that the next slots up are *above* her shoulders, so I don't think that will work...

momtoB
01-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I wonder if sewing some little "sleeves" out of rubberized shelf liner and sliding them over the harness straps would help them stay on her shoulders? I have seen techs recommend using socks with the toes cut off instead of those cute harness strap covers when people had problems with the belt digging into their dc's necks, so I would think this would be totally safe (especially if it worked to keep the harness on). Just a thought.

Maybe evenflo has a chest clip that will hold the straps closer together on the chest? You might try contacting them with this problem and see if they have a solution...

How far up are the next slots? If they're only slightly above the shoulders then it might be safe (but I would ask a tech about that first!)

They say until age 2 kids are 4x more likely to die in a collision when in a f/fing seat. If you have to turn her around then definitely make sure the seat is top tethered properly as this prevents too much forward movement of the head of the seat (i.e. if you have a moveable headrest the tether goes *under* it, not over). But you probably already knew that!

hth.

Joolsplus2
01-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Evenflo DOES allow you to use the next slots up even if they are like an inch over her shoulders. The whole point is to prevent "ramping out" of the seat, which of course straps slipping off the sides of the arms aren't going to help much at. They know this is a serious design flaw, and they allow you to use those second slots up (and actually, being above the shoulders is better in a rear impact crash...go figure...plus, the lapstraps really do hold the kid in...'at or below' is MUCH more critical in a seat without lapstraps). So, anyway, I'd move them up and keep her rearfacing. Remember though that there is a 'one inch rule' on that seat, and her head should not creep up less than an inch to the top of the seat shell...sometimes babies this young DO get too tall to RF...which is why this isn't my favorite seat :(
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Karenn
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks Julie! That's what I'll do. Fortunately, DD has lots of head room so she's not ready to out grow it yet.

Yeah, I've been a Triumph advocate for awhile, but I think I'm finally ready to conceed that the marathon is a better seat and worth the extra money.

Joolsplus2
01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I've been 'there', Karen...you have NO IDEA how much I loved my Evenflo Medallion years ago... my friends got them, they did better than the Roundabout in CR, we just loved them... well, until that pathetic 13.5 inch top slot took our beloved seats out of our lives when our kids hit age 2! Those slots were insanely short! It sucks to love a seat that you find out has limited usage in certain ways (I'd love to recommend the Graco Comfortsport, but bah, humbug, it has such low top slots, too!)

;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx