PDA

View Full Version : Is this *really* that awful?

ashkash
01-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I really, really like the Maxi Cosi Cabrio, and I understand it's not legal to use it here in the US. But how bad would it really be to use it? Legal issues aside, am I jeapordizing my child's safety in any way? It seems to me that it's a better seat than what we have available here in the States, so I'm curious what the experts think.

Please tell me your thoughts, strictly from a safety standpoint. I drive an 05 Honda Odyssey, if that matters, and I know I'd be certain to install it properly every time.

Thanks,

Ashley

uccomama
01-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Welll... it passes the EU tests so it is safe, but you need to know the testing is different and I don't believe it is required to pass with just a lap belt which all US seats must. I haven't had a good look at the seat, but it doesn't has a base which means no LATCH and so you will need to install it with the seat belt everytime. The install will be different to a US infant seat, you will have to route the shoulder belt portion of the seat belt around the back of the car seat and the lap belt goes over the seat and baby's legs (see photo), in some cars the seat belt isn't long enough to do this. Finally, all US infant seats have five pt harnesses now, EU ones still have 3 pt harness and I do think 5 pt harness are safER.

http://shop.babyworld.co.uk/images/xt_pics/maxicosicabriohenri1.jpg

I don't think your baby would be in danger, provided the seat is installed per the manufacturer's instructions. Would I do it? No. But I did. My youngest used a UK Britax infant seat in the US until he was 13 months old, but I didn't know nearly as much as I do about car seats then as I do now.

Deborah
CPSTech and mom to three, two in seats

Joolsplus2
01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
It *looks* cooler than the seats we have, but I don't think it's any better (or worse...).
I'd use a Britax Companion or Baby Safe or Chicco Key fit or even Graco Safeseat or Combi Connection, all of which have 5 point harnesses, install well in your car, and have EPS foam for side impact protection before I'd use an 'illegal' seat, personally. (and the Babysafe is the same model as the EU version, the Cosy Tot Iso Fix, I think it's called, that gets top ratings in the Austrian crash tests of car seats (google: OEAMTC Kindersitze to see those)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx