PDA

View Full Version : Do they really want to hear it? rant and ? about unrestrained kids

skipspin
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Okay, so DH and and I have been discussing what to do when we see a very *obvious* situation of a child not restrained. This all started by seeing a 2 yr old climbing back and forth from the passenger seat to the back bench (yes, going over the back of the seat!), a 4-6 yr old riding on mom's lap in the front passenger seat of an Expedition with empty backseats, and a 1 yr old buckled into the front passenger seat with a seat belt. All this in 2 days just boggles us! I can't find that our county (Hillsborough Co. FL, Tampa area) has any numbers, and I wonder if the officers really WANT to go and pull these people over? I know that they SHOULD, but I don't want to be calling dispatch all the time when they won't do anything. Any ideas? I have rolled down my window before at a lady that had her 9-12 mo old FF in the infant seat held in the car by the handle and told her to go to the police station and get a new seat for him (figuring that if he was under 12 mo and 20 lb they would tell her he HAS to be RFing- and a FF convertable would be better than a FF infant seat any day!) but that's not ideal, or practical all the time.
I guess I just want to strangle these parents. I realize that there are a lot of people that don't use seats long enough, or the right way, but at least they TRY and are legal!
Anyway, I guess this is a bit if a rant, but any help would be great. I have been waiting till I take my CPS class to ask, but I havn't heard about one coming up and I just can't wait after this weekend!

mariza
01-08-2006, 03:58 PM
I live in Palm Beach County, FL and I called a local PD once for a 2-3 month old FF in the back seat. They kept putting me on hold to try and figure out what the law was even though I kept telling them "I know what it is and I'm calling to let you know it's being broken". They were pretty uninterested :(
However, on I-95 I have had good response from calling *FHP on people who apprear to be DUI and on an unrestrained minor. (at least they always tell me they are going to check it out) HTH!