PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Chevy Full size Blazer and car seat

leearob
01-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for an infant car seat for this old of a vehicle? I figure we will have to do some modifications for either the LATCH or the ISOFIX, but does anyone have this vehicle and if so what are you using?

Momof3Labs
01-09-2006, 04:37 PM
My DH used to have a 1991 Chevy Suburban, and our infant seat (a Fisher Price Stay-in-View - since discontinued) installed beautifully in the center of the back seat (with the lap-only belt). It was a nice, flat seat bottom; much easier install than the angled contour of my 2002 Passat! We sold the vehicle before DS went to a convertible seat, so didn't have to deal with the lack of tethers. There's nothing you can do to add the lower anchors to that vehicle; you just need to install the seat using the seat belts. Not sure if you can add tether anchors to a vehicle that old either, but that's not an issue until the car seat is FF.

Joolsplus2
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
One important thing is to check your manual to find out if you can use the center seat in that Blazer..in MOST Blazers, the belt anchors are too close together to safely install a seat in the center. Also, find out what kind of seatbelts you have... www.cpsafety.com has a page called 'locking in a child seat' that shows you how to tell what kind of belts you have. You may have lap/shoulderbelts that don't lock, and buying a seat with a built in lockoff would be easier than using a locking clip (the Chicco Key Fit and Graco Safeseat have built in lockoffs, and the Britax Companion). If you have belts that ONLY lock in a crash, then you might need a belt shortening clip...check that page and your car and get back to us on that.
I *think* you can have a top tether added to your car for when your child is 2 and or 30 pounds or so and must finally be turned forward facing (1 and 20 is an outdated and not very safe recommendation...kids need to rearface till they are more like 2 or older, as long as they fit in a rearfacing convertible)...I have the "technical service bulletin" that shows you may be able to get a top tether installed for free, but no part numbers for that car, unfortunately. Hopefully you can find a dealer who will know something about top tether anchor installation. Nope, no lower LATCH can be installed, but all seats can be installed with seatbelts, anyway, so no sweat.

Hope that gets you started!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

leearob
01-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks, for the info. I had started to worry (first baby and all), I will have my husband check the truck tonight and get back to you all tomorrow.

leearob
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, I checked with my husband, turns out he has a 1990 Chevy Blazer. I always get into trouble not remembering that! ( Ha!) But he checked the seatbelts and he said they don't lock. But I guess as long as there are seatbelts and the seat is installed properly, everything should be fine.

Thanks for your responses.

Joolsplus2
01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Are they Lap/shoulder belts? If so, you'll need a seat with the built in lockoff or you MUST use a locking clip...otherwise, they won't hold the seat tight before a crash. Anyway, keep us posted so we can keep walking you through it...and look for a local tech to help www.seatcheck.org because locking clips can be a b!tch :P. (or belt shortening clips, if it's only lapbelts back there....they are even worse)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx