PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to put Marathon in Center position using LATCH from outboard positions?

Logansmum
01-10-2006, 11:51 PM
We are having my 2002 Audi A4 retrofitted with LATCH this week, and my husband wants to install the Marathon in the center position using the inner outboard LATCH positions. Is this the normal way to install the carseat? We are sick of having to install it using the seat belt, as it normally takes hubby one hour.

What I really need is a new car!!! I'm dreaming of a Honda Odyssey Touring w/o the run flat tires....

:-) Amy
Mum to 8 month old Logan

SusanMae
01-11-2006, 06:48 AM
It's OK only if your vehicle manual says it is. If it says no or doesn't address it, it's NOT OK.

LATCH anchors are designed to work as a pair. If you use the 2 inboard, you are taking one from each pair. Car makers only have to put 2 LATCH places in and the easiest places are the 2 outboard seats.

Newer American cars are starting to come with more positions, so you know one of the things to look for next time?

Do you have Side impact airbags?

Susan

Joolsplus2
01-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Nope, Audi will NOT allow that :(. You'll have to keep installing it with the seatbelt in the center or use the window/outboard LATCH positions.

Oooh, yeah, that new Ody is sweeeeet... I'll dream with you ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

renefjr
01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Don't mean to threadjack but what about the BMW X5 or Lexus RX330?

Neatfreak
01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
That's really crazy that it takes an hour to install with a seatbelt! It's maybe a minute or two in the cars I've tried with our Marathon.

We're thinking of getting an Audi later this year - are their seatbelts really different?

Joolsplus2
01-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Nope, no center LATCH in those, either (it's a lot more common for US cars...EU and Japanese car makers are really not getting onboard with the idea that people WANT LATCH in the center :( )

kellyotn
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I have an 2000 Audi A6, with the retrofit LATCH. I have installed RF and FF Marathons using either belts or LATCH. (Always outboard, nothing fits center with two MA's).

The RF with LATCH is a bit easier, just because I hate the MA RF lockoffs, which isn't Audi's fault, I'd hate them anywhere. ;) FF I actually prefer the belt, because it is SUPER easy that way. Additionally, retrofit LATCH has a lower weight limit, so in my mind I feel better using the belt with the FF child.

When we had only one child, we did try the center and it was difficult because there's a hump there and the two points of the belt are very close together (narrow seating location). I used the infant seat there, but when we moved to the convertible (a Fischer Price Safe Embrace) the seat seemed too wide for that spot.

I hated vacating the center, but knew we'd be doing so soon when there was another kid, so I got over it. ;)

For the OP, what exactly takes so long? Maybe someone can help.

I know the first time I use any seat it takes some time, but I ramp up quickly. Even the first time with an MA/Audi it only took about 20 minutes per seat. Now its a breeze. There are some tricks to RF with a belt that help.

Momof3Labs
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
I have a similar car (2002 Passat with LATCH retrofitted) and it takes nowhere near that long to install with the seat belt. Is he using the locking clips on the car seat?

Alternatively, you could install the seat in one of the outboard positions and use LATCH (perhaps he can try it there and see if it is really easier for him - I just don't see how the seat belt vs. LATCH causes too many problems).

momtoB
01-11-2006, 01:05 PM
>We are having my 2002 Audi A4 retrofitted with LATCH this
>week, and my husband wants to install the Marathon in the
>center position using the inner outboard LATCH positions. Is
>this the normal way to install the carseat? We are sick of
>having to install it using the seat belt, as it normally
>takes hubby one hour.
>
>What I really need is a new car!!! I'm dreaming of a Honda
>Odyssey Touring w/o the run flat tires....
>
>:-) Amy
>Mum to 8 month old Logan

Amy, No worries installing a rear-facing seat in the outboard position anyway since in a side impact the seat will rotate away from the door and the seat shell will protect the baby's head. Unlike in the forward facing position where the babies head may extrude and thus be more likely to impact a part of the car or another object in the car. Another reason to keep your little one rear-facing to the weight limit on your MA (which is 33lbs). :-) hth!

Cheryl
ds-4/03
(rear-faced until age 2-1/2)

clc053103
01-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I have an X5 so I wanted to interject on your threadjack:

With RF MA, you get a better recline angle w/ seatbelt install- the seat sits up on a little "ledge" (the latch anchors are under this) that gives it a great angle. With Latch, the seat can't reach that ledge so it has to go on the flat part of the seat- and you really need a towel or noodle. Since I've crawled all over that car, thought I'd share!

Logansmum
01-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses!

We do have the side airbags, but since we only have 1 little guy, we'd like to keep him in the middle. I've read a lot of the information on RF, so Logan will definitely be RF for as long as possible.

My DH believes that the LATCH clasps are independent, and therefore can be used for the center position (ack!). He says "but I'm an engineer!"... and I say "yes, but an electrical engineer" ;-) I'm having him talk to the Audi dealership to understand the design.

Truely my husband is trying to convince me to ditch my Audi - but I'd rather he toss his 16 yr old Porshe 911... At least I can fit 3 people in my car!

Anyone out there have the 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring? Like it / Hate it? I'm curious about the $$$$ run-flat tires. Rumour has it that they are $1600 for a set, which will last only 12,000 miles. That sounds like a bad deal to me.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great responses. You guys are the best!

Amy

Momof3Labs
01-12-2006, 09:05 AM
The LATCH clasps are not independent - they are set up like this:

L____L L____L

So there is a bar between each pair of clasps on the outboard side. Using one from each side exerts a different force on the bars that has not been tested by Audi.

And tell him that no honorable engineer would need an hour to install a Marathon ;).

KrisM
01-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I am a mechanical engineer and no way would I install that using the wrong LATCHES. Does he really want your son to be the crash test dummy for making sure they can be used that way? Since they are tested and approved that way, that is what he's asking your son to do.

The first time I installed the Wizard in an Explorer in the center with no LATCH, it took about an hour. But, since then, it takes a lot less time (15 min. maybe) and the Explorer is my parents, so we only use it a few times/year, so not much practice.

Logansmum
01-12-2006, 04:15 PM
This is hilarious!

The bar design is exactly what I thought it would be & mentioned to DH. Man, I married a stubborn dude. He's going to pick up the car now, so I'll remind him to ask the dealer. At least the LATCH retrofit was free.

He'll definitely be reinstalling the carseat using the belt.

It's an ongoing joke at work about how my husband is super duper safety & chemical conscience. For instance, he did not want me eating peanuts while pregnant (fear of allergies), or cleaning the bathrooms/kitchen. He's been my house-husband ever since I was pregnant! heeeheeheeheee

I'm still not sure why it takes him an hour to install it.... maybe this time he'll be quicker.

:-)
Amy
Mom to Logan, 8 months

Joolsplus2
01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Oooh, you're a mechanical engineer...no wonder you're so smart! :)

And yes, we love all our babies here and do NOT want Logan to be the tester for a completely unapproved LATCH installation, no matter how long it takes Dad to install the seat in the center with a seatbelt (do you have any techs in your area? www.seatcheck.org should list them, I know Audis are a little tougher than other cars, but for me that means it takes 10 minutes in one instead of 2 ;) )

Logansmum
01-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Hubby installed the car seat yesterday... using the belt. Now I wish we hadn't gotten the LATCH retrofit, as we will never have 2 kids & this car. It's pretty ugly.

DH took 15 minutes to install this time... I must say, when he first installed it, the car seat moved significantly side to side. Somehow he fixed it.

Hubby's next *great* idea was to install using the belt & then the LATCH as well. AUGH!

I'll definitely look into the CPS tech & have it reviewed.

Did I tell you guys about my harrowing ordeal on a freeway? I was driving down a freeway in the right lane (South 280 past 85 for anyone in the bay area), and a big rig decided to merge into my lane from an exit lane at the last minute. I was 1/2 past him! I had to SLAM on my brakes & hope that we didn't get squished like a bug. Little Logan was screaming, and the back seat came flying forward. Apparently the back seat has 2 levels of a locking mechanism & mine was only snapped into the 1st position. So, if anyone you know owns an A4, make sure they lock the back seat in place using the engine key...

Take Care All,
:-) Amy

SusanMae
01-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Don't use LATCH and the belt. They are NOT designed to work together and we don't want Logan to be the crash test dummy.

I think you husband needs to get into safety seat/belt/LATCH testing. Then maybe he won't want to use your son for experiments.

Susan

SusanMae
01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Don't use LATCH and the belt. They are NOT designed to work together and we don't want Logan to be the crash test dummy.

I think you husband needs to get into safety seat/belt/LATCH testing. Then maybe he won't want to use your son for experiments.

Susan

LexyLou
01-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Now I'm worried. We have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner. My husband just installed our Marathon in the center using LATCH. Does anyone know if the 4Runner has center LATCH?

I can't believe so many car makers wouldn't put LATCH in the middle since so many people put their children there.

Is there anywhere we can look to see which car makers have LATCH in the middle? We were thinking of trading our 04 in for an 06 but if it doesn't have center LATCH I might not even want to get another 4Runner.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
01-15-2006, 01:59 AM
it is rare, because their is not usually room for LATCH there after putting it in the outboard seats.

in vans, you often only get two sets of latch, in the captains chairs/second row bench and an additional top tether in the middle of the third row.

center latch often comes with seat width restrictions.

check your vehicle manual.

Kat

SusanMae
01-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Probably not. More american car makers are adding the center spot for LATCH. Look in your vehicle manual under child restraints to see if it is acceptable.

Susan

Joolsplus2
01-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Holy cr@p! That's so scary! I'm SO glad you guys are ok! Too bad I've just moved from the bay area this summer (to Virginia) or I'd show your dh a trick or two ;) (Seriously, I know someone out there who might be close enough to meet up with your or who knows where the next check is...email me and I'll hook you up with her if you like, she's a totally great tech)

:)

Joolsplus2
01-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, and don't use the LATCH and the belt (unless Britax ok's it, if you want to call and ask).. I know for forward facing kids, at least, it significantly increases chest G's in a crash, which is definitely not good :(