PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Young Style or Young Sport?

coz0998
01-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I was all set to buy my DS a Britax Parkway when I got on here and read about the Recaro seats and now I'm not sure any more. My son is almost 3 1/2 and is about 37 lbs and roughly 41 inches. I have him in the MA in my car. Although he still fits, it is getting really snug (especially when he's wearing a fleece jacket) and he has been complaining. We've had him in the Graco TurboBooster in DH's car for a year now. Although I prefer him harnessed, he does okay in a booster. My question is whether to get him the Young Style or the Young Sport. I heard the harness on the Sport isn't slotted any higher up than the MA. If that's the case, we will be going right to the booster on that one. Judging from pictures, the Sport seems to have more shoulder protection than the Style. Anyone seen these seats in person or have first-hand experience? And should I write the Parkway off completely? Thanks!

Momof3Labs
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
3.5yo is awfully young to be in a booster exclusively. It's just so much safer for him to be in a 5pt harness! My DS is the same size, and has plenty of growing room in the Marathon; perhaps your coat is too bulky to be used in the car seat?

The Recaro weight limit for harnessing is 40lbs, so you'd pretty much be using it only as a booster (and it seems like a lot of money for just that). Perhaps you might want to check out the other higher weight harnessed seat options? Or I believe you can get foam for the Marathon that will give your DS more shoulder room.

Joolsplus2
01-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes, as far as I know, the 'modified' foam is still available for the Marathon... 1-888-4BRITAX is the number to call, and it is only a couple bucks...it gives several extra inches of width in the shoulders and that somehow even makes it look like there's more height room in the seat.

I might look at the Apex for dad's car and put the Turbo away till your ds is 5, when the risk of head injury from being in a booster is much lower...but that's just me.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

coz0998
01-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm confused. Does the foam make the seat wider? Regardless, it's not the width Aidan is complaining about (he's tall and skinny). I think it's the buckle that bothers him (appearently, the "boys" are sensitive early on--LOL).

tjham
01-11-2006, 08:23 PM
>I was all set to buy my DS a Britax Parkway when I got on
>here and read about the Recaro seats and now I'm not sure any
>more. My son is almost 3 1/2 and is about 37 lbs and roughly
>41 inches. I have him in the MA in my car. Although he still
>fits, it is getting really snug (especially when he's wearing
>a fleece jacket) and he has been complaining. We've had him
>in the Graco TurboBooster in DH's car for a year now.
>Although I prefer him harnessed, he does okay in a booster.
>My question is whether to get him the Young Style or the Young
>Sport. I heard the harness on the Sport isn't slotted any
>higher up than the MA. If that's the case, we will be going
>right to the booster on that one. Judging from pictures, the
>Sport seems to have more shoulder protection than the Style.
>Anyone seen these seats in person or have first-hand
>experience? And should I write the Parkway off completely?
>Thanks!

According to Elite Seats, the Young Sport's top slots are only 16".
www.elitecarseats.com

uccomama
01-11-2006, 09:29 PM
>
>According to Elite Seats, the Young Sport's top slots are only
>16".
>www.elitecarseats.com

Maybe with the extra cushion on the seat base. My DS, who has a seated torso height of 16.5 was well below the top harness slots before he outgrew the YS by weight. I don't always trust the measurements provided by Elitecarseats.

Deborah

Joolsplus2
01-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah, the foam makes the seat wider... but nope, that sure won't help with that rather short crotch strap!

Good luck finding something that works (Maybe the Cosco Apex? It's got a very deep/wide seat, for sure)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx