PDA

View Full Version : Called Fisher Price today

tjham
01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
I had to call Fisher Price today about something else (which was handled very well, BTW) and thought to ask the guy about when the new FP car seats are coming out. He said "Fisher Price doesn't have carseats." I said "I know but they are coming out with some." He was skepical and put me on hold for a long time. When he came back, he said it was Britax who was coming out with the new seats, not FP, and that I should call them. Hmmmmmmm. Interesting.

bargainonboard
01-12-2006, 12:05 AM
>I had to call Fisher Price today about something else (which
>was handled very well, BTW) and thought to ask the guy about
>when the new FP car seats are coming out. He said "Fisher
>Price doesn't have carseats." I said "I know but they are
>coming out with some." He was skepical and put me on hold for
>a long time. When he came back, he said it was Britax who was
>coming out with the new seats, not FP, and that I should call
>them. Hmmmmmmm. Interesting.

It's common for companies today to license their brand to other companies in certain product categories. My speculation here, based on this one data point, is that Britax will handle distribution and support for this line. Mattel is just collecting a royalty from Britax for use of the Fisher-Price name.

As an example, the Fisher-Price accessories one can buy for cars (such as mirrors or rollershades) are made by Blue Ridge, the same company that also sells similar products under the Safefit brand.

Check it out at http://www.safefit.com/2005/ontheroad.html

secchick
01-12-2006, 07:40 AM
My guess is not too long (I was thinking about looking into one when DD, due in March, outgrows her Snugride). I think that rolling out these lower end seats was the main reason for the recent price increases on the Britax models. The FP Safe Voyage, supposedly based on the RA was supposed to sell at $179. Not such a good deal if the RA is selling at $200. The DC-based FP is supposed to sell for $230, I think. Still steep, but that would meant you could pick up a higher weight seat for only $10 more that a RA costs. My only concern is whether they are going to be hideous covers. I have googled and it seems like there is NO information about when they are coming out anywhere.

o_mom
01-12-2006, 08:26 AM
I thought they were going to be $160 for the 40lb and $180 for the 55lb? Both less than the RA, although more of a deal with the price increases.

secchick
01-12-2006, 08:36 AM
The BB Blog seems to have several errors in its information:

"As previously reported, Britax will launch watered down versions of its seats under the Fisher Price brand in December 2006. This will include a booster seat (a re-packaged StarRiser) for $79, a convertible that works up to 40 lbs for $159 (based on the Roundabout, but with a redesigned base and manual recline) and a convertible that works up to 55 lbs for $279 (based on the Decathlon). There will also be a Fisher Price infant seat for $199, based on the Companion but omitting the headrest."

It says December 2006 is when they are due out, and the $279 number seems out of nowhere. In addition, they say the FP infant seat will be $199, when the Companion itself sells for $190-200.

I found several articles like the following and they list the price range for convertibles at $180 to $230. Theya also say the FP infant seat will be only $120, which makes more sense. Coupled with the increases in Britax prices, I am inclined to believe that the FP seats will fall in this range.

http://www.kidstodayonline.com/content/licensing2.aspx

o_mom
01-12-2006, 09:15 AM
I looked at the BBB article again - first they say 159/279 for the covertible and 199 for the infant, then down with the pictures they say 159/179 for the convertibles and 119 for the infant.

I guess we'll find out when the seats actually come out - of course the question as always is if these will be discounted or fall under the same price-fixing scheme.

tjham
01-12-2006, 08:05 PM
I called Britax today and asked them. The guy said to call back in 3 weeks.

Neatfreak
01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's in the spring, and that they'll be sold in Canada as well. Wouldn't mind a second seat ...

secchick
02-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I was just thinking about this and wondering if anyone has any new information.