PDA

View Full Version : Flying Alone with Twins in Snugrides

redrobin
01-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Call me crazy, but I am thinking of taking my 5 mo. twins on a 2-hr. US Airways flight down to FL to visit family. It just seems like the easiest way to get there, compared to driving or taking the AutoTrain. Ideally I would buy 3 seats, stroll to the gate with the Double Snap n Go, then sit between the 2 Snugrides for the flight. Is this even possible, or are they going to try to make me sit on the aisle with no access to the baby in the window seat? I know I could just buy 2 seats and hold one baby as a lap child, but I would much rather have them both in the Snugrides.

Do I need any documents to fly with them domestically? From the website it looks to me like the answer is no.

Any other tips about getting through security or any other element of the plan? I am hoping to get a gate pass for a helper on both ends (DH at home, my mom in FL) but what if this is not possible?

Would you forget the whole thing and take the AutoTrain instead?

-Robin
w/ Anna and Lauren, 5 mo.

Momof3Labs
01-12-2006, 09:10 AM
They will probably make you put one in the window and one in the middle, unless you get some compassionate flight attendants. You do not need documents for them, though a birth certificate never hurts.

At security, you will need to put the car seats and stroller (folded up) on the scanner belt separately, unless you can convince them to use a handwand on the whole set-up. And you can't wear either baby in a sling to get through security, but you're probably used to carrying two babies at once!

I don't think that you can get a pass for a helper to get you from the plane out of the airport, but you can request assistance from the airline, I believe.

mariza
01-12-2006, 10:01 AM
I got this from the US Air website:
"You must use a government-approved restraint system if you wish to secure an infant during takeoff, taxi, landing or any other time when the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign is on.

If you have bought a seat for an infant, the restraint system can be properly secured with the seat belt. If you have not bought a seat for your infant, a child restraint system may be brought on board only if it can be stowed beneath the seat or in an overhead compartment."

http://www.usairways.com/customers/travel_policies/minors/#Child%20Restraints%20and%20Car%20Seats

I would definately buy 3 seats, it sounds like they will not let you use the seat even if one is empty. This happened to me on Continental once, the flight attendant asked if I paid for the baby's seat, I lied and said yes, (thankfully she didn't ask for the boarding pass!) but the woman behindme said no and ended up with a miserable 14 month old in her lap even though the seat next to her was open too.
Lori is right about going through security, you will have to take both baby's out and put the seats through the x-ray. It is up to the airlines if they want to will give you a gate pass for a helper or not. If they don't I would request a skycap to help you, it will be the best $10 (tip) you'll ever spend and they can arrange for one to meet you on the arriving end.
Here's a useful link for getting through security:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1020.xml
HTH!

bensmom
01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I'd probably fly too, especially while they are still in their Snugrides. I would definitely talk to the airline ahead of time to see about getting a pass so that someone get go with you to the gate. To me, it seems that security would be the hardest thing to do alone with the two girls. Having said that, I generally (but not always) find people helpful when they see a mom along struggling with a young child. Even if they don't care to help, if they don't help, it slows the process for them too :)

I also am a firm believer in buying seats for babies. In addition to the convenience on the plane, to me, it's the only way to guarantee that my seat makes it to my destination with me. I believe that you can only get one 1/2 price infant fare for each paid adult, but I would definitely talk to the airline - you might not need to pay full price for both seats for the baby.

In terms of sitting in the middle of the two seats, my reading of the FAA regulations is that it is allowed. I read them to say that the window is preferable, but other seating positions are ok as long as the only people being "blocked" are the child's companions. Therefore, I would probably take the regulations with me and at least try sitting in the middle. (See paragraph 8 on page 4, here's the link - http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/79c64c8578074e45862569ea00695a20/$FILE/AC91-62A.pdf)

The snugrides also are helpful because one of the flight attendants likely could carry a seat with baby in it down the aisle. Plus, you can install the seat on the plane with the baby in it, which makes it easier than having someone hold the baby while you install the seat.

good luck!

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom
Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

SusanMae
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Also remember that you can install SnugRides without the base, so you won't need to worry with them. Make sure to practice a seat belt install at home first so you are comfortable with it for the plane and your destination.

Susan

momtoB
01-12-2006, 06:37 PM
quote: This happened to me on Continental once, the flight attendant asked if I paid for the baby's seat, I lied and said yes, (thankfully she didn't ask for the boarding pass!) but the woman behindme said no and ended up with a miserable 14 month old in her lap even though the seat next to her was open too.

I think this is appalling! What is the point of doing that? Making someone less safe when they don't need to be. Grrr, that really chaps my hide! OK vent over lol. p.s. I'm not a big proponate of lying but in this case I'm glad you did! :)

I also thought that one of the reason's for having the children in the outermost seats (nearest the windows) was also because it reduces the risk that one of the objects above that "may have shifted" during travel wouldn't fall on them when someone opened the overhead bin. That's what I always worry about anyway! :-) Maybe something to just be aware of....

mariza
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
>I also thought that one of the reason's for having the
>children in the outermost seats (nearest the windows) was also
>because it reduces the risk that one of the objects above that
>"may have shifted" during travel wouldn't fall on them when
>someone opened the overhead bin. That's what I always worry
>about anyway! :-) Maybe something to just be aware of....

While it would be nice to think the airlines are worried about items falling on our babies, what they are really worried about is our carseats blocking in another passeenger in the event of an emergency (so they don't get sued). It's sad really, I worked for Delta for 10 years and I hate to see what is happening to the industy today :(

On the way back from our last trip to Atlanta the Flight Attendant tried to make me swap seats with DD (she was in the middle w/me in window & DH in aisle), once I quoted the FAA reg that said middle was ok if the seat was blocking someone in the same party she left me alone.

redrobin
01-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Many thanks to all, this is great info. I will definitely bring the reg along with me and hope for the best. Both girls in their Snugrides would be so much safer and more convenient, but I must be sitting between them to have it work. Sounds like the security logistics are the hardest part. I am certainly used to carrying around both babies, but am not quite sure if I could successfully fold the SNG and put it through the scanner while doing so! (Yeah, right!) They really don't like to make it easy for you... the no-sling rule is about the stupidest thing imaginable.
-Robin
w/ Anna & Lauren, 5mo.

mamaturk
01-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow, is that really true?? Everytime we fly they always makes us put DD at the window which is such a pain because she likes being by both of us. Thanks for the info!!!!!!

ADK
03-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I couldn't get that link to work. Has anyone been able to get to that regulation?

Thanks!

>
>In terms of sitting in the middle of the two seats, my reading
>of the FAA regulations is that it is allowed. I read them to
>say that the window is preferable, but other seating positions
>are ok as long as the only people being "blocked" are the
>child's companions. Therefore, I would probably take the
>regulations with me and at least try sitting in the middle.
>(See paragraph 8 on page 4, here's the link -
>http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/79c64c8578074e45862569ea00695a20/$FILE/AC91-62A.pdf)

o_mom
03-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Try this one:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Put 91-62A in the search box and it should come up.

ADK
03-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks!

>Try this one:

AddiesMom
03-08-2006, 03:30 AM
I would bring the birth certifiates to be on the safe side! The rules seem to change daily with the airlines. My mom knows someone who asked the travel agent if their kids needed a passport to go to Barbados a few weeks ago, and American Airlines would not let the kids on the plane with out a passport!

I lucked out on my first flight with a baby. I took DD on a flight to Orlando at 9 weeks and did not purchase a ticket for her. The flight was not full both ways and Southwest let me bring the car seat on to the plane.

About taking the plane vs a train... The night before I took an infant on a plane alone I had an anxiety attack, I didn't sleep a minute. But many people in the airport have pitty on a mom and help out, and it is over much quicker than taking the train. I would take the plane all over again. The worst part will be security, they will want to put the car seats and snap-n-go through the x-ray machine and you will have to carry the babies trough the metal detector. In Providence, RI the secutity agents were very helpful with the car seat, etc. They had a special line for 'those in need of assistance', wheelchairs, infants, pacemakers, etc. In Orlando they were completely rude, I was the only one at security and they all stood there and watched me struggle as I tried put the car seat and strollers on the x-ray belt (and they are also responsible for Homeland Security?) Finally a woman came over to help, ironically she was pregnant! Good luck!

justlearning
03-08-2006, 04:08 AM
I would not want my baby to be in the center aisle seat, unless I'm always able to watch what's going on and able to shield my baby somehow. In fact, I just flew on an airplane yesterday and had my toddler sit on the aisle seat. (I was in the middle seat because my baby was in the Snugride, which the flight attendant said had to be next to the window.) When the passengers were getting on and off the plane, their luggage kept swinging into the area where my son was sitting. Thus, I had to continually hold him close to me and shield him from getting hit in the head. I had to do this as well when the flight attendants were moving around the aisles and being careless with their trays and big bags of trash, as well as when passengers got up to use the restroom.

Even if you have the Snugride canopy up, your baby could get really hurt IMO if a suitcase were to hit her in the head when a passenger's walking by or if something were to drop from above when passengers are getting things out of the overhead compartment. Personally, I'd feel safer having the baby in my lap in the middle seat rather than than being strapped into a Snugride in the aisle seat. Just my thoughts...

keschy
03-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Just another thing to add about seats. I would try to find a seating chart of the plane you'll be on. Sometimes there are only 2 seats on each side of the plane or 2-3-2. You wouldn't want to be sitting with one baby and have the other one across the aisle. When you make your reservations they might be able to give you that information.

AddiesMom
03-09-2006, 01:14 PM
duplicate post... oops

AddiesMom
03-09-2006, 01:14 PM
You can also go to www.seatguru.com. You can look up the layout of any airline's planes. It gives you exit rows, bulkheads, 'bad' rows to sit in, etc.