PDA

View Full Version : What to do about car seat for a 20 month old

tinya123
01-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I am new to this board (someone suggested here because of the problem I have with the carseat for my son).

I am very puzzled on what to do about our son's car seat. Chris is 20 months old, now probably 34 lbs and was 36 1/2 inches tall at his last well-baby check-up. Here is how this puzzlement started...

Rutgers University (where I work) has a car seat inspection station on campus, so since I was running very early this AM, I decided to stop in as the seat hadn't been inspected since it went forward facing in May (and I know DH had to take it out since at least once). After they pulled the entire seat out, I found out that the crotch restraint was positioned wrong for his size and the belts under the seat were completely twisted - I had no idea! Veyr bad mommy! But, after a 1/2's time at the inspection and the seat being taken apart to adjust it, the seat is going NO WHERE! Amazing.

While I was there, I asked about Chris' size and the fact that his head all of a sudden seems to be above the top of the seat. We have a Graco Comfortsport Convertible car seat (which has been rather tempermental since we started using it in 8/04 - Chris outgrew the infant carrier by 3 months) that goes up to 40 lbs forward facing and I know he is approaching that weight limit - so, what do we do for the next seat?

The inspector suggested that, because of his size, he is probably ready for a belt-positioning booster - although, normally a child is not ready for that until 3 years. He said to ask our ped about it, as he knows our DS better than he ever would. But, he said we should also be able to find a convertible car seat that converts into a belt-positioning booster - saves some $$$ and we can also keep him in the 5-point harness longer. I know there is an Eddie Bauer model available....bought one for a friend's registry.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Should we consider a convertible that moves into a belt-positioning booster, or skip onto just the belt-positioning booster? I have a 2004 Subaru Forester, if that helps in answering the question. I really don't want to just go for a belt-positioning booster - I don't think he is ready for it. But, I also do not want to have to keep buying new carseats either - It would be too much $$$ to spend and too many transitions for my son.

Thanks for your help! Tina

Momof3Labs
01-12-2006, 10:24 AM
He's definitely not ready for a booster; probably not until 5 years old. And I'm not sure that there is a booster out there that would work for his height.

There are a number of seats that harness past 40lbs, depending on your budget. The Eddie Bauer only harnesses to 40lbs, so isn't a good choice for you. The nicest seats are the Britax Marathon, Boulevard and Decathalon - they harness to 65lbs. A budget choice is the Cosco Apex, which also harnesses to 65lbs, but requires a tall seat back behind it, or a headrest. Another option is the Britax Husky/Regent, which harnesses to 80lbs. Any of those would last you until he's ready for a booster (probably a small backless booster that goes for $20).

There are a lot of posts on this topic over the last week or so, if you read down through the car seat board. The search function will pull up information on these different seats, too.

patricksmom
01-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi Tina...welcome to the board!!!

Momof3labs.....I was curious about when they could start fitting into a booster also....if Tina's Chris was a few inches taller he would be able to fit into a full back booster, like the Britax Parway which is only $99 right...or no?

The Briatax site says
"The Parkway fits children from 38 inches tall to 60 inches tall, weighing approximately 30 to 100 pounds. "

But I guess it doesn't have the 5-point harness and you are saying it is best to be harnessed until they are at least 4 or 5? So one should use a convertible seat as long as possible? Just trying to get it straight for my own knowledge too.

Thanks for your help :)

mom2acrew
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
It is recommended a child stay in each "step" as long as possible. IE: rear facing as long as possible
harnessed as long as possible
booster until 4'9"
each step is a demotion in safety

On the label of the Britax Parkway it even says Britax recommends children remain harnessed until 40# Yes the seat is approved but there are 5 yr olds under 40# and some people want the booster option at that point. Generally 4 and 40# is a guidleline for moving to a booster seat using the L/S belt. The comfort sport can be used until your child is over 40# or the top of his/her ears are above the seat back. If they are not close to 40# there are several combination seats that use a harness to 40# then become a booster seat and cost about $80-$100. Since the child we are talking about is already 36# I would suggest something w/ a higher harnessed weight. Apex, Britax Marathon, Husky, Radian......

Jodi~CPST mom to 4

tjham
01-12-2006, 07:58 PM
That's irritating that a car seat inspector would recommend a booster for a 20 month old, or even for a 3 year old!

mom2acrew
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Here there is a AAA office (that will do installs)right below the Safe Kids coalition and you should hear the things they recommend! They have their people take the class and do nothing for 2 years until they need to recert. They never work w/ anyone beyond their initial training it is ridiculous the things they tell people. Hopefully it will change soon.

SusanMae
01-12-2006, 08:26 PM
That seat inspector needs to bone up!!! I would NEVER EVER put a 20 month old in a belt positioning booster. I'm upset that my nephew is in one at 2yrs and 7 months.

As your friend will soon find out, that Eddie Bauer seat will soon be outgrown with the low harness straps it has.(Make sure your friend knows that the last slot for is for booster use ONLY)

Your best bets are the larger Britax's--Marathon, Decathalon, or Boulevard, or even the Husky.
Another option if you have high seat backs or headrests--The Safety 1st Apex.

The Fisher Price/Britax should be out soon. Their large model will harness to 55 pounds--it's based on the large britax's--and it won't cost as much.

Susan

tinya123
01-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi ladies,

Thank you all for your input - I think, in the end, I will end up buying a Britax that goes to the higher weight limit in the 5-point harness position. It is a little more $$$ than I was expecting to spend right now, but Chris' safety is more important to me than spending money one something else right now.

As for what the inpector said to me about the booster seat: Honestly, I just don't think the guy knew what to suggest at all - he had a look of shock on his face when I told him how big Chris was for only being 20 months old. He did stress very strongly to not buy anything until I talked to my ped first, so I think he was just not sure what to suggest. He probably was trained in how to install the car seats (which he did a FANTASTIC job with, by the way. The car seat NEVER was that tight when the town's fire department inspected the seat!) and what the laws are - he may not have been trained in what advice to give in special situations as ours, KWIM?

I am just very disappointed that most of the car seat manufactures out there have not addressed this issue - Britax is apparently one of the only companies that realize that some children grow faster for their age.

Tina

Joolsplus2
01-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Handsome fella you have there :).

You could also look at the Cosco Apex, which harnesses to 65 pounds and has 17.5 inch top slots (usually fits kids till about age 6, should fit your big guy till 4-5 harnessed, then becomes a booster to 100 pounds).

Yeah, I'm always surprised how little current seat knowledge some CPS Techs have... you really have to keep up with the products that come out every few months if you want to give the best advice for kids of all sizes, that's for sure!

Don't feel bad your DS outgrew that Comfortsport so soon, it really is one of the smallest convertibles available :( (short top slots, really).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tinya123
01-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. :) I want to make sure Chris is the safest car seat possible - and, since I already have a convertible carseat for a future baby, I really don't want to spend the money on another convertible carseat.

So, I was looking at the Britax Regent (it is the one that goes to 80 pounds with the 5-point harness but cannot be used rear-facing). Which do you think would be better for Chris - the Cosco Apex of the Britax Regent? Since I don't know how big he will be as time goes on, and he is not slowing down in growth either right now, I want to make sure I purchase the best one to get him through to when he can use a regular booster. Plus, I want to make sure I buy one that will work with the 2004 Subaru Forester.

Thanks!

Tina

Joolsplus2
01-17-2006, 04:23 PM
They would probably both work fine, but I think you'll be happier with the overall quality of the Husky. It's just a much higher quality of seat (which is of course why it's $100 more... but the harness is nicer, the cover is nicer, there's energy absorptive foam to protect the head, and the slots and weight limits are higher--my 8 yo is a stringbean and average sized, and has years to grow in this seat).

If you want to go all out, look into the Safeguard seat (www.safeguardseat.com)..it's pricey, but *extremely* well engineered and has very tall top slots... a mom is trying to sell her new-but-doesn't-work-with-her-seating-arrangements safeguard right now on this board, ask her if she likes it :)

Joolsplus2
01-17-2006, 04:24 PM
They would probably both work fine, but I think you'll be happier with the overall quality of the Husky. It's just a much higher quality of seat (which is of course why it's $100 more... but the harness is nicer, the cover is nicer, there's energy absorptive foam to protect the head, and the slots and weight limits are higher--my 8 yo is a stringbean and average sized, and has years to grow in this seat).

If you want to go all out, look into the Safeguard seat (www.safeguardseat.com)..it's pricey, but *extremely* well engineered and has very tall top slots... a mom is trying to sell her new-but-doesn't-work-with-her-seating-arrangements safeguard right now on this board, ask her if she likes it :)

Joolsplus2
01-17-2006, 04:24 PM