PDA

View Full Version : Three across in middle/2nd row of minivans? Is it possible?

sophie627
01-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi All,
Although I was very proud of myself for getting 3 across in my Honda Civic, it's getting old trying to get them in and out and I don't think it's going to work once my smallest moves from infant seat to convertible. We're thinking of taking the minivan plunge, but I don't want any of my kids in the way back. I like to have access to them and it also freaks me out how close to the bumper the rear bench is. Do any of the minivans have a 2nd row bench that will fit 3 across?
Thanks!
Hannah

o_mom
01-13-2006, 04:55 PM
The 8 passenger Sienna can, but you may want to re-think that. To get three across, they will end up much closer to the doors, and much closer to a side impact. The third row of a minivan is quite safe, especially if they are in the center.

In a 7 passenger van using the third row would mean that two out of three are in the center - away from side impacts. Also, the one that is in an outside position is farther away from the door than in an 8 passenger van, because to fit three seats in the middle row, they push the two outer seats to the very edges and much closer to the doors.

The bumper may seem close to the back bench - but compare it to the distance from the side door to the outer seats in the middle row, and you will see that it is much farther away from an impact. The back bumper is also a crumple zone, where the side doors are not so much. Of course if you have side airbags (which I don't think are an option on the 8 passenger van, but I'm not 100% on that), it is less concerning, but I still think one in the center back would be safer than three across the middle row.