PDA

View Full Version : I can't make up my mind, reduced prices on NIB seats through hospital

ribbit1019
02-06-2006, 03:28 PM
This is long, I am sorry.

I can buy 2 seats from our hospital of any combination for $45 each.

They have:
Graco Snugride
Cosco Touriva
Graco Comfortsport

Right now we have a Evenflo Infant Car Seat (unk model, sorry) that we had for DD, and DD has her Marathon. My parents have a Century STE for DD when she goes with them (at least 1-2 times a week).

I plan on getting the little guy a Britax for our main vehicle when he grows out of his infant seat.

I hate the Century STE, I can't get it installed to my satisfaction RF, hard to adjust etc. etc. etc. Plus, DD would only be RF in my parent's car for another 2.5 lbs, she is 19.5 lbs. right now, which I am not comfortable with. IMO, my parents really do need another seat for the new baby, instead of switching out on a weekly basis. So do I buy 2 convertibles for them and skip the Snug Ride? I'd prefer to have the Snug Ride for our main infant seat and it is such a deal....

I am leaning towards the Graco Sung ride for us, and convertible for DD in my parents car and give them the Evenflo for the little guy. Then worry about getting him a convertible later. Does that sounds rational? LOL!

I hate moving seats around and I am trying to be as cost effective as possible. Ease of use is a major factor too, I hate adjusting the Evenflo's straps it is such a pain! So any input is appreciated. This is too much for mommy/preggo brain to think about.

So which ones do you think I should choose? And which convertible?

TIA!

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

Frogs are lucky, they eat what bugs them.

kellyotn
02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Well, the newer version of the Touriva (the Scenera) can be had for $39 when its on sale at Target, Kmart or Walmart. Get the 5 point version, not the overhead sheild. When not on sale, I think its $49. Its a bit nicer than the Touriva, so I'd get one or two of those! :) We use one for my nearly 3.5 year old in DH's truck, and she uses an MA in my car. She's comfy and doesn't complain a bit! She doesn't use it often, but when she does, its for a 3.5 hour drive. (They aren't as padded as an MA, but really, we worry about that more than they do.) Its a lot taller than a lot of more expensive 40 lb seats, so you lessen the risk of a kid out growing it well before s/he's 40 lbs.

I'm not really up on Snugride pricing, but I know the new ones are larger - 22 lbs/29 inches vs. 20 lbs/26 inches (?). I'd definitely get a larger one, as that increase tends to buy a lot more time.

From what I've read, the Comfortsport is REALLY short, outgrown way too soon, and generally disliked, so I'd skip it.

How old is the Century seat? I'd think it'd be nearing expiration if its not already. If you hate it, defintely get a Scenera, its a very nice seat for the money.

HTH

edited for typo

Piglet
02-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I can't comment on the convertible, but you really do not need 2 infant seats. If you hate the Evenflo, then buy the Snugride and your parents can use the same Snugride as you. We do this with my parents as well. I have given them an extra base if they want it (the prefer installing with a seatbelt though). Generally I just bring over DS2 in his Snugride and they use it as needed. This way your parents aren't struggling with the straps on the Evenflo seat either and you know that the seat is adjusted correctly (strap height) every time. You can give your Evenflo to a friend or someone that could use the seat if you wanted to get rid of it. I am pretty frugal too, but my rule is that car seats are not worth scrimping on - you use them every day and it is not fun to curse it every day! Both seats are safe, of course, but if it isn't easy to use, then you won't be using it as safely as possible potentially.

o_mom
02-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Do you know what model/style the SnugRide is? Is it a Snugride2 (22lbs, 29in)? Does it have a front adjuster? If yes to both of those, I would say that is a good deal. If no to one or both, I would seriously consider something else. The front adjuster is probably the more important of the two. The higher weight would depend on how your children grow. The cheapest Snugride2 with front adjuster is $90, without is around $65.

The Touriva is the old version of the Scenera, which is $40 new, but probably has more padding than a Scenera. Check the manufacture date on these, they may be a year or more old, which means you get one less year out of them.

The ComfortSport has extremely low top slots and is outgrown very young. I would not pay $45 for one when I could get a Scenera for $40, since it is probably the low end version which has no more padding than a Scenera.