PDA

View Full Version : Seat for plane, and install tips please?

Edensmum
02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
I have been told the scenera is good for flying and since i have a Boulevard, I definatley don't want tobring that. I have a friend that has a graco comfort sport that her son just out grew in height. Is there any reason the scenera would be better than this one?
She did have to cut off one of the latch peices to get it out of her honda, it would not releases because the leather of the seat was in the way.
Any tips for installing one well in the plane?
ALso the scenera looks like it has a large cup holder on it's side, wil that be int he way?
TIA
Eden 9/04

stillplayswithbarbies
02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
why not bring the Boulevard? You'll want a familiar seat at your destination to install in a rental car. And if she damaged the LATCH connector, you may have a hard time with that seat installing it with the seatbelt.

niccig
02-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I have both a Boulevard (my car) and a Touriva (same as scenera just older model in DH's car). The scenera is the only one I'll fly with. Light enough that I can carry it by myself, diaper backpack and DS in a mei tai. There is no way I could manhandle the Boulevard by myself. If DH was with me, maybe. The Boulevard is easier to install, but the scenera isn't too bad - practice a few times with seatbelt and latch and you'll be fine.

I wouldnt' use the damaged comfort sport. You may not get a tight enough install in a car with the seatbelt and you won't have Latch.

BeachBaby
02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Just wanted to say that the cupholder on the Scenera detaches, so it's not a problem. Also, we installed this seat FF in the plane and it was really easy. Just slide the seatbelt through two slots and tighten.

GL!

momtoB
02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I second (third?) the Touriva/Scenera. The Touriva is what we travel with. I also have a Boulevard and wouldn't want to lug it through an airport. If you want to take the Boulevard you might want to invest in a Gogo Kidz Cart attachement which makes it into a stroller, but it's about $90 so I would personally only get it if I was traveling a lot.

Installation tips for the airplane:

Recline the airline seat all the way
Pull the seat belt out as far as possible
Put the car seat on the seat the same way you use it in your car (r/fing or f/fing), then feed the seatbelt through the correct path.
Lock the seatbelt and then pull to tighten as much as possible.
Put the airline seat back in the fully upright position which will snug up the install the rest of the way.

You might also want to turn the female end of the clasp around to face the airline seat (1 twist) which makes it easier to unclasp it when uninstalling the seat. If you're using the Blvd, then a belt extender might be needed to make the seatbelt long enough (but I have personally never had to ask for one with my Touriva).

hth!

Momof3Labs
02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
They would probably both work fine on the airplane, but what are your needs when you arrive at your destination?

Edensmum
02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
When I arrive it will be going in my parents car. It is a recent model audi.
I am thinking more aobut buying us a scenera. How are the safety ratings on this seat? For the money, it seems to good to be true.
I will not lug the boulevard throug an airport.
I guess it would be a lot easier to have the latch.
Also, she is 17 months and just now making 20lbs She is rf in the car and I thought that is how I would do it on the plane, but is it easier better for her to be ff on a plane? She could see the TV that way, though not sure that's a the greatest, but whatever keeps her happy in a situation like that I guess and I nurse and can feed her rf.

Eden 9/04

SusanMae
02-08-2006, 08:12 PM
I would say to do it RF on the plane too. It will be easier to interact and keep her entertained.

The scenera has LATCH...just not the cool clips like the britax does. There's are just little metal hooks on a strap that you tighten.

Susan