PDA

View Full Version : ComfortSport on an Airplane??

bubbaray
02-10-2006, 01:03 PM
For those of you who frolick in the other forums here, sorry for all the travel questions.... Bear with me! ;)

We are taking our first airplane flight with DD in a couple of weeks, a 2.5 hr flight to Palm Springs. We purchased a seat for DD. The plane is a 757. We can't "reserve" a bulkhead seat (only passengers in wheelchairs or with assistance dogs can on this airline), but have selected seats near an exit row. If there is room on the day of the flight, we will likely go with a bulkhead, but won't know until checkin.

We will be taking our Graco ComfortSport piece of poo seat. DD still fits in it and frankly, if it somehow gets damaged on the trip, I could care less. Plus, its lighter than our MA to schlep through the airport.

OK, all sounds good, right? Well there is a huge ironic twist here. The reason this is DD's first flight (and we didn't travel sooner) is mainly that my !@#%$ DH was convinced we didn't need to buy DD a seat if she was under 2. I, of course, had a different view, so airline travel just kept getting delayed and delayed. Finally, DH agreed to buy her a seat if I would agree to go on the trip. So, she has a seat. Great.

So, last night, DH decides to do some research (not sure where). Now he says that because there is no "top tie down" (as he calls it), the seat will be unsafe FFg. The conversation went something like this:

Him: "The seat isn't safe FFg because there is no tie down."
Me (awoken from sleep): "What are you talking about? What's a tie down?"
Him: "Maya's car seat on the plane. We can't use it FFg b/c there is nowhere to secure the tie down at the top of the seat."
Me: "You mean the tether strap?"
Him: "In engineering, we call it a tie down."
Me: "Well, in the car seat world, WE call it a tether strap [roll eyeballs here]."
Me: "So, we just use the seat RFg."
Him: "The FAA says after 20lbs, the seat has to be FFg, but that's not safe b/c the seat will flip forward because there's no tie down [roll eyeballs again] and only a lap belt."
Me: [groan] "Whatever. Either choice is infinitely safer than you holding her on your lap." [roll eyeballs, put pillow over head]

You see the irony, here. Now, all of the sudden, FFg isn't safe enough b/c of the tether issue, this coming from the guy who was convinced that a lap child is just fine b/c if we crash, we'll all die anyway.... :(

Anyway, this brings me to my question. It makes sense to me to install the seat RFg if possible (ie., if we can get the passenger in front of us to agree or if we get the bulkhead). But, what if we can't? Is it safe to install the seat FFg?

All I want is to go away on a vacation by myself at this point!!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Momof3Labs
02-10-2006, 01:17 PM
You don't want the bulkhead seats. You can't have your carry on bag with you (it must be stowed overhead) during takeoff and landing so can't get to it unless the seatbelt light is off. Plus, you can't raise the armrests, which is often key to getting a car seat installed on a flight.

And you don't want to be in an exit row, or in the row behind an exit row. Both are not allowed with a car seat.

If she is under the RF limits of the seat, you can use it RFing. If she is over, or if you prefer FFing, you can install it that way. Does your DH realize that not all cars have top tethers? What do those people do? And if he reads the car seat manual, I'm sure that it doesn't *require* you to use the top tether when FFing.

I'd love to see where your DH was doing his research!!

bubbaray
02-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your help, Lori!! :)

You should be a "travel with kids consultant" or write a book on it. Seriously.

Ok, no bulkhead seats. That's great info! I prefer being close to an exit row (2 rows from it -- can't be in an exit row with a child).

Maya is under the RFg limits for the CS (she's 28lbs, I believe the RFg limit for it here in Canada is 30lbs). I've never seen a car seat installed here (well, properly installed) without a top tether.

However, funny you should mention that, because when the conversation with DH about this continued this morning (b/c you KNOW we will be "discussing" this until the @#$% plane takes off!), I told him that the top tether was safer, but not a "deal breaker" and that top tethers have only been required in the US for a few years, so obviously the seat CAN be used without it -- its just safer to use a top tether (and required here, but I've already drilled that into his head). He kinda grumbled and left for work muttering to himself.... He he he...

If we can install the seat RFg, I think we will do that. I think Maya would prefer to be able to look at us anyway, even though she is FFg in the car. My only niggling concern is that I've always wondered if she gets motion sickness RFg b/c she was soooooo hysterical RFg in the car.

Anyway, thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for all your help about this trip on the various forums!! We are down to 2 checked bags, 2 carry ons (the LE Backpack and the LE DIA -- returned her Pooh suitcase this am), the car seat and the Atlantico. Oh, guess I better not forget DD, LOL! ;)

Thanks again!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

bubbaray
02-10-2006, 04:52 PM
http://www.passporter.com/news/news112603.htm#travel

Actually, it seems the info is pretty good. Geez, you'd think he could have done this a year ago and then agreed to buy her a @#$% seat.... Hrumph!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Momof3Labs
02-10-2006, 06:07 PM
This is a misstatement though:

"Just as in cars, children under 20 lbs. on aircraft are safest in a rear-facing child seat, and children 20-40 lbs. are safest in a front-facing child seat."

This seems to imply that children 20-40lbs are safer FF than RF in a car or airplane, but research has shown that to not be true (RF is safer than FF, but FF is safer than no child seat at all).

And I didn't see anything about tethers on an airplane - was that from here, or did your DH think that one up himself?

bubbaray
02-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Not sure. That is the only link he sent me. I'm sure he looked at more....

I agree -- I didn't like that part of the article either.

Can you even tether on an airplane? Seems doubtful.

And, what's the deal with the airplane seats being designed to fold forward??? That doesn't bode well for a child in a seat, either FFg or RFg. Wouldn't the folding seat crush them??

Anyway, I have no idea if that site's info is correct.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Momof3Labs
02-10-2006, 08:24 PM
No, there are no tethers on airplanes.

A car seat would protect a child better than nothing, if the seats do indeed fold in a crash!

catfeet
02-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Something else to note, the flight attendants *may* ask you about ff ing her, especially if she's close to 30ish lbs. There may be a discussion as you're installing the seat where you'll have to explain yourself to them and defend what you're doing.

You may also want to keep her in the position she's normally in in the car as well, as my kids always sleep better on the plane when they're in their normal positions. Plane rides being exciting & all. It's totally ok to install the seat FF on the plane.

HTH,
Ann

jesseandgrace
02-13-2006, 06:05 PM
It's my understanding that while cars are now required to have a tether anchor, there are no laws requiring people to actually use the tether. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding. You can get a good solid fit without the tether. Sure, the tether is better, but it is still safe to use a carseat without a tether.

bubbaray
02-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, I'm in Canada. So, there are laws here requiring the use of the tether strap when the seat is FFg. That's why my DH was "confused" -- we are required to use the tether here.

I understand the laws may be different in the US.

Thanks, though!

:)
Melissa

Maya Papaya!