PDA

View Full Version : Need Britax help, please!

twinkie
02-14-2006, 07:29 AM
DS is 19 months old and is riding in a RA. We are going to get a 2nd car, and therefore a 2nd carseat this weekend. The 2nd car will be for me, so the new carseat will be his primary seat. He is a very tall kid (95th percentile for height but only 50th for weight) if this matters in long term car seat selection. When we shopped for carseats 2 years ago, Britax had the RA, the MA, and the Wizard. We got the RA because our car didn't fit the bigger seats rear facing without DH and I sitting practically on top of the dashboard. Anyway, now that DS is forward facing, we could go with a bigger seat. Now, here is what I want in an ideal world: I want a car that can fit 3 carseats across, because I despise minivans, but one day I would like to have 3 kids. (By the time I have 3rd kid DS will probably be in a booster, so I don't need to fit 3 large carseats across. It would probably be infant bucket, RA, and new seat, and then once baby outgrows infant seat I would move all the kids up 1 seat and put oldest kid in booster.) Anyway, are the MAs any wider than the RAs, or are they just taller? And what is this new Decathalon seat? And I don't see the Wizard talked about much anymore. Was it replaced by the BV? What is the difference between those 2? And, does anyone have any sedan or station wagon suggestions that comfortably fit 3 seats? I know it can be done!!

o_mom
02-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Here is a comparison of the large Britax seats:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=32426#32513

The MA/BV/DC all have the same shell, and they are about the same width as a RA. Any of these would be a good choice and would last to 5 or 6 years old when your DS would be ready for a booster.

Any of the larger sedans can fit three across. The booster is actually what makes it harder sometimes, because you need to be able to get your hand between the seats to buckle it every time. Also, remember that the seats expire after 5-6 years, so by the time your oldest is ready for a booster, the RA will definitely be expired, and possibly the new seat.

Momof3Labs
02-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Since your DS is very tall, I would go with a bigger seat - MA, BV or DC. My DS is also very tall and outgrew the RA by his third birthday; your DS will not be ready for a booster at that age so you will end up spending the money on a MA (or comparable) not too far down the road anyways.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
they gave you great advice about seats... I'd just like to recommend specific cars.

the chevy Impala - a good sedan with good mileage and a big backseat

Buicks - can be tough to install rf carseats in because of big slants on the seats

Dodge Neon - despite being a mid-size, you can get three across in this car and it runs really well.

So basically, check the slants of seats, and get something sized accordingly to the two I mentioned.

Kat